Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 19 (612 Views)

HP Z600 CPU compatibility; Boot Block Date 01/30/09

Product Name: HP Z600

I want to buy a HP Z600 but it is version 1 (Boot Block Date 01/30/09).

I know this has some limitations, there are sevreal threads about that. But I still can't find all the answers I need.

1. What are all the official CPUs supported with version 1? (optionally with the high performance mod with the heatsink)

(Is the W5590 the CPU with the highest performance?)

2. I read there are some other CPUs supported not officially listed. Which are these and are stable? (again, optionally with the high performance mod with the heatsink)

3. I read there are a few 5600 series Xeon processors that will work in the HP Z600 version 1, but maybe not stable. Which are these? And are there examples of them being stable or not?

I want to use the system with a dual CPU setup. I also saw that some CPUs only work in single cpu configuration and not double cpu configuration. But this could be solved by using the perfomance heatsink mod. Is this right?

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
Message 2 of 19 (578 Views)

Re: HP Z600 CPU compatibility; Boot Block Date 01/30/09

[ Edited ]

My best advice would be to keep looking and get a Version 2 Z600.... you can avoid "buyer's remorse" for a few extra bucks, but you may have found an exceptionally good deal.  Note that most eBay sellers won't know these details, and knowing the boot block date from a picture of the BIOS boot screen image is a key piece of info for careful shoppers.  Don't tell anyone.....

You will need to create the answers to the questions, and it would be great to post them here when you figure them out.  Here's some help to get you started:

1.  The way to that answer is to go through the early QuickSpecs (PDF versions is easiest) for the Z600.  You can google "Z600 QuickSpecs" and I believe HP even has a QuickSpecs archive library that you can dig through.  Those for the Z600 all have a same document number but with a specific version number and date.  There is a very early one  HERE.  You'll note the early ones only have processors listed for the V1 Z600 motherboard.  Later for a few of the QuickSpecs you'll notice that there will be a mix of the V1 and V2 motherboard Z600s (shown by the new processors showing up), and the final sets will have only the Z600 Version 2 motherboard processors.  Make your list from the early set and the several that have the overlap.

The list won't be that long, and you can use google for each processor and up at or near the top you'll see the Intel "Ark" site that gives quick access to processor details.  You can fill out your list from the first Ark page that opens in terms of speed and wattage, etc., and number of cores, etc.  A lot of that info is in each QuickSpecs document, and they each have a Available Processors section.  You don't want any one that would force your DDR3 1333MHz memory to run at the slower 1066 or 800 speed.  You want the higher GT/s QPI transport speeds.  The "mainstream" heatsink/fan handles up to an including 95W.  Processors got faster with less wattage over time, so I'd avoid any early processor that needs over 95W because even within the Z600 version 1 you'll often find equal performance in a later official processor when you dig like this.  For the W5590:   HERE.  However, those need 130W each as you'll see under the Specifications tab.  Under the Ordering and Compliance tab you can find the sSpec code for eBay search (SLBGE).  Those are roughly $40.00 USD each on eBay now.  If there was more than one sSpec code you'd want the latest one.  If you do the wire spoof watch your temperatures carefully, and you'll need to boost fan speed in BIOS for intensive work if you choose to take the risk of using Mainstream rather than Performance heatsink/fan with those.  For email and surfing the net you will likely be fine and have a very snappy experience.

2.  I have no idea on this..... 

3.  Any version 2 Z600 processor used in a version 1 Z600 should be expected to be unstable, including ones discussed in this forum.  There was one communication on a thread that got locked here where the poster seemed to be having a good experience, but later PM'd me:  "Private Messages - HP Support Forum  Thank you SDH - there must be some limits to what we can say or ask there.  I think I understand what you mean by "unstable" ....  In fact, after a few reboots I could notice that it doesn't start every time (which was not the case with the E5520s)."

I would not waste my time with that, but a very few have reported exceptions..... you will have a very nice workstation by using the fastest official processors for your version 1 Z600.

4.  Your last question, I believe is directed to the Z620, not the Z600.  The Z620 needs a mini-motherboard to be added on to the main motherboard to run a second processor.  That is not the case for the Z600.  Many buy the Z620 with no plan to add the cost for buying that and a second identical processor so HP offered Z620 processors that have only one QPI link (they are cheaper than ones with two, but can be just as fast or faster).  So, any Z620 with a single installed processor with two QPI links can add on the mini-motherboard and a second identical processor.  If the installed processor in that Z620 has only one QPI link then you'd need to start over from scratch to end up with two processors.

For the Z600 I have never seen an official processor that only had one QPI link.  HP tended to engineer for the cooler running more expensive processors in the Z600 versus the hotter running cheaper single QPI link processors in the Z400.  Don't forget you can use a Z400 Performance heatsink/fan over one of the two Z600 processors (the second one) if you bend down the heatsink's thin rear airflow deflector a bit.

5.  I believe you would be able to use the Kingston Predator M.2 PCIe SSD adapter I use on my V2 Z600 on your V1 Z600.  Read up on that in here, and note you need to use the correct Storage Controller driver version I detail.  I bet you and I could not tell the difference between our two workstations in that case.

Top Student
Message 3 of 19 (540 Views)

Thank you for your reply!
SDH wrote:

My best advice would be to keep looking and get a Version 2 Z600.... you can avoid "buyer's remorse" for a few extra bucks, but you may have found an exceptionally good deal.  Note that most eBay sellers won't know these details, and knowing the boot block date from a picture of the BIOS boot screen image is a key piece of info for careful shoppers.  Don't tell anyone.....

After continuing my search I too believe I should skip the version 1 because I really would like to have 3+ GHz. But unfortunately they are not often for sale (Z600 and Z800) in the Netherlands, only resellers who ask way to much. I think max 200 euro is a fair price for such old computer, not 800+ euros they ask around here with lower speed cpus. I found a Dell T7500 dual cpu for 250 euros, I might need to consider that one. I wanted to have a Z600 or Z800 but I haven't found an affordable one in months till this version 1 showed up.

You will need to create the answers to the questions, and it would be great to post them here when you figure them out.  Here's some help to get you started:

1.  The way to that answer is to go through the early QuickSpecs (PDF versions is easiest) for the Z600.  You can google "Z600 QuickSpecs" and I believe HP even has a QuickSpecs archive library that you can dig through.  Those for the Z600 all have a same document number but with a specific version number and date.  There is a very early one  HERE.  You'll note the early ones only have processors listed for the V1 Z600 motherboard.  Later for a few of the QuickSpecs you'll notice that there will be a mix of the V1 and V2 motherboard Z600s (shown by the new processors showing up), and the final sets will have only the Z600 Version 2 motherboard processors.  Make your list from the early set and the several that have the overlap.

I can't find that many different QuickSpecs for the Z600. And how can I see when the sheet is for the version 1 or 2? I thought the W5590 would be the best non-5600 series cpu, but it seems that one isn't supported either..

I would not waste my time with that, but a very few have reported exceptions..... you will have a very nice workstation by using the fastest official processors for your version 1 Z600.

I don't know what the fastest official processors will be, I hoped the W5590 so I would have 3+ GHz, but it seems it will be slower (I think?)

PhD Student
PhD Student
Message 4 of 19 (493 Views)

You can see the version 17 of the QuickSpecs for an example of one which has both the newer and the older generation of processors listed.  Here is an image of the processors section for that:

From v17 of the Z600 QuickSpecs.jpg

Now you know that the X5570 was the fastest 1st generation from there.  That is in the highest GT/s QPI group, and runs at the fastest memory speed group (1333).  Its wattage is 95 so it can run under the mainstream heatsink/fan.  It has 2 QPI links so can run on a motherboard with 2 processors present (8 cores total for this).  So, if you go version 1 of the motherboard this is the processor I'd recommend.  That has sSpec code SLBF3, and is going for about $12.50 USD each over here on eBay.  Not bad......

If you can find any QuickSpecs after v17 that show a faster official one in the X5XXX group.then let us know.

Top Student
Message 5 of 19 (461 Views)

I have found a Z600 with Boot-Block date 01/07/10, but it has only one CPU. What do I need to add another one? Only a heatsink? And which can I use?

Is it true I can use a heatsink for the Z400, Z600 and Z800? Are there also others I can use?

Because it's hard to find a reasonaly priced heatsink around here. And with ebay the shipping costs are pretty high.

And does it matter when I use two types of heatsinks? (for example one Z400 and one Z600 or Z600+Z800?)

PhD Student
PhD Student
Message 6 of 19 (453 Views)

[ Edited ]

For you I'd recommend just getting a duplicate of what is already in there.  It has part number 463990-001 and you can see what those look like on eBay.  The same ones were used on the Z600 and Z800 as the mainstream heatsink/fan, rated for up to and includng processors running at 95W max TDP.

The Z400 generally uses a heatsink/fan that is different because they usually ran hotter cheaper processors which required a "performance" cooling unit.  The parts around the processor sockets are pretty tight for all of these HP workstations, and the heatsinks/fans are custom designed to fit HP's engineering.

That Z600/Z800 unit is exactly what I'm using...... two of them.  Here they are about $40.00 USD off eBay, and I have never had a problem buying them used.

If you really want the "performance" version they have part number 463991-001, and go for about $200.00 USD used on eBay, and are rated for up to and includng 130W each.

Top Student
Message 7 of 19 (441 Views)

I don't know what the part number is, I guess 46399-001 (seller doesn't respond that well)

But I only see 463991-001 for sale on ebay.

1. What happens when you combine those two heatsinks together?

2. What will happen when you combine a Z600 heatsink with a Z400? Will this give some errors or something?

3. And can you also use two Z400 heatsinks? I thought you can only use one slightly modded (bent) Z400 heatsink due to its size?

4. And what if I use the standard heatsink combined with two higher TDP cpu's, what will happen? Will the heatsink go full speed all the time? Because then you can do the "perfomance mod" right? I understand if you do this, you should keep an eye on the temperatures. But will the standard heatsink be good enough to cool higher TDP cpu's?

Because I want to use one of these CPUs:

Xeon X5687

Xeon X5677

Xeon X5690

Xeon X5680

(Xeon X5675)

All are 130W (except the X5675)

I know I ask a lot of quetions, but it would be a shame when I find out too late that I need other (and more expensive) parts. I'm just a student with a limited budget.

PhD Student
PhD Student
Message 8 of 19 (392 Views)

[ Edited ]

EDIT:  FOR FUTURE READERS THE INFORMATION BELOW IS FOR THE Z600 VERSION 2 WORKSTATION, WITH THE LATER BOOT BLOCK DATE OF 01/07/10, WHICH CAN BE SEEN IN BIOS.

You want to search eBay for the less expensive 463990-001.... you're missing that zero before the hyphen.  That is the "mainstream" 95W Max TDP heatsink/fan you want.  The 463991-001 version is for the hotter processors, and is the "performance" heatsink/fan for the Z600/Z800.  That is much less common, and thus more expensive.  Note that a hotter processor does not necessarily mean it is a better performing processor.  Sometimes increasing the voltage to a processor is the only way to increase its performance, but the trends always have been that faster and cooler is better than faster and hotter.

1.  You can make them electronically equivalent by cutting out the ground jumper wire from pin 1 to pin 5 on the white plug-in end.  I'd just buy a second 463990-001, which is what I did.

2.  Let's say your Z600 came with a 463990-001 over the first CPU socket, and you had a spare Z400 heatsink (which virtually always are rated for the hotter processors).  Then I'd get your two processors in place, and do the bend-down trick of that Z400's "performance heatsink" metal air deflector.  You know about, and try that keeping the wiring as is.  If you get an error message I'd then cut out the jumper wire on the Z400's plug, but I'm quite sure that you'll not see an issue.

EDIT:  IT TURNS OUT THAT MANY OF THE Z400 PERFORMANCE HEATSINKS ARE TOO TALL TO FIT OVER THE SECOND PROCESSOR AND STILL LET THE SIDE LID CLOSE FULLY BECAUSE THE TALLER ONES HAVE HEAT TUBE TIPS THAT HIT THE Z600'S SIDE LID LATCHING MECHANISM.

3.  No, because the Z400 performance heatsink/fan can only fit over the second processor socket.  There is just barely enough room there for that if you bend down that metal air deflector a bit, but for sure it will not fit over the Z600's first processor socket.  The idea behind that experiment I did was that if you were going to run two matched 130W processors in a Z600 then this would be a less expensive way to have two performance heatsinks/fans.  One 463991-001 over the first processor and one 463981-001 over the second.  If you look up the Z400 heatsink on eBay under that part number you'll see a few with more black plastic on the top and a black plastic rather than metal air deflector at the rear of the heatsink.... the metal deflector is easier to bend if you choose to go that route.

4.  I would not risk it....... if you end up with two 130W processors I'd personally spend the money and do the trick I detailed in #3 above to keep total cost down.  You know how to do the wiring spoof if you wish, but I would not recommend that.  Just so you know..... the cooler more recent 95W processors are very fast, and some of the older hotter 130W processors are actually lower performance than the more recent ones running at less wattage.

5.  The most recent (and last) QuickSpecs for the Z600 is v51 from 11/21/13, and this lists all the latest official HP approved processors for the later version of the Z600.  You want to be in the highest GT/s QPI category which is 6.4 GT/s QPI.  You want to be in the highest memory/processor FSB speed category, which is 1333MHz.  You want to have the fastest clock speed possible which is 3.06 GHz if it is a hexacore processor or 3.20 if it is a quadcore.  You want two processors, in my mind.  You want to fill all 6 memory slots with identical 1333MHz proper HP ECC memory (either unbuffered or buffered, but not mixing), for optimal memory performance.

The processors need to be chosen for either highest clock speed, or slightly slower but more cores total.

Thus, the two potential best processors are either the X5672 (fastest, quadcore) or the X5675 (slightly slower, hexacore).  Both run at 95W Max TDP.  These are for the Z600 version 2, not the older Z600 version 1.  My two Z600 version 2 workstations here at home are one of each, and both are great.  I cannot tell the difference.  For the software I run most of the time I'd lean towards the 8 cores total and the fastest possible clock speed of the two X5672 processors.  

I have the Kingston Predator M.2 PCIe SSD running in both, using the special instructions I have posted here before.  I'm only recommending the official HP approved processors from that v51 Quickspecs, but if you want to experiment with 2 X5690 processors be prepared to spend big bucks.

There is no guarantee that any of the processors you mention that are not on the HP approved processor listings in that V51 or earlier Z600 QuickSpecs will work.  Don't forget you'll need dual QPI links if you ever plan to run 2 processors.  Use the latest BIOS.

I'm signing off of this thread now, and good luck with your project........  below is that listing of v51 processors:

Latest Z600 approved processors.jpg

Honor Student
Message 9 of 19 (362 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @SDH,

Following your advice, I got a Z400 performance heatsink (the one with the metal deflector) to be installed in the second socket of my Z600. It fits well when moving the deflector as you suggested. But, when I was about to close the lid, I realized that it will not close because the heatsink is too tall. The tiny metal pieces (see the photo here) sticking on the top bump into the closing mechanism.

Have you found this problem in your Z600? How have you solved it?

You have several posts taking about this particular heatsink and you are not talking about this specific problem in any of them.

Thanks

Regards.

PhD Student
PhD Student
Message 10 of 19 (351 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is a new one..... I've done that modification for 2 Z600s and never hit this snag before.  The lid closed fine.  There must be a variability in height on these despite same part number.

I looked again at the eBay pictures of the ones that have the black plastic both at the top face and as the deflector and those too seem to have longer up-protruding heatsink tubes.  That one has the same part number as the ones with the metal air flow deflector.  I'd do some careful measuring with the case open and see how much the tips on those longer ones stick up (3 of the 6 stick up more as I'm sure you know, two at the top edge of the heatsink and one at the lower edge).  It might be enough to just bend over the top two tips a bit.... they are copper.

I have no idea how to ensure that you'd get the shorter ones that I happened to get, 2 in a row.... those ones with the black plastic airflow deflector are easy to avoid, but the other ones would look identical unless you had them in your hands for measurement of their height.

I have to find those posts and put in a warning.... thanks.

EDIT:  IT TURNS OUT THAT MANY OF THE Z400 PERFORMANCE HEATSINKS ARE TOO TALL TO FIT OVER THE SECOND PROCESSOR AND STILL LET THE SIDE LID CLOSE FULLY BECAUSE THE TALLER ONES HAVE HEAT TUBE TIPS THAT HIT THE Z600'S SIDE LID LATCHING MECHANISM.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation