Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to know if I can install a Geforce GTX 1080 in a z600 workstation?

My power supply is 650W so that seems to be enough. I have 2 * 6 pin connector so I guess I can add an adapter to 8 pin.

Would this work?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You getting the 10GB vRam one?  That might run a bit hotter.....

Looks good.... the current video cards especially have gotten greater performance with less power draw, and the nVidia specs for that card recommend at least a 500W power supply, which you have easily.  That card draws 180 watts maximum, and 75 watts will come up to it from the PCIe x16 slot it is plugged in to.  That leaves 105 watts max to be supplied from the supplemental power cable(s), which have been rated for max 18A of 12VDC, each, in the more recent higher end HP workstations.  If you wish to aggregate two of those HP 6-pin cables into a single 8-pin plug for that card (which it wants) you can do that.  However, a 6-pin to 8-pin plug adapter would suffice, for one of those HP cables, but I don't know where HP gets the ones they document in the post documents below.  I'd prefer to aggregate two of the cables if I could not be sure of having a HP-quality 6-to-8 adapter.  I know they exist, but have never seen proof of where to get them without buying the HP video card they would come with.

Your Z600's PCIe x16 video slot is PCIe Generation 2 and that card can run to PCIe Generation 3 specifications but will also run fine in your Generation 2 slot.  There are some recent posts here about how much higher wattage than ATX standards the HP "6-pin" supplemental PCIe cables can supply.  Even to the point that HP documents show some single 6-pin to dual 6-pin adapters, and some single 6-pin to 8-pin adapters noted above.  Here's a link that includes the HP wattage/6 pin PCIe supplemental cable info for the Z620, and I'm sure the Z600 also has those cables rated well over the ATX standard too.... HERE.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z620-Workstation...

So, I'm sure you're fine......

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You getting the 10GB vRam one?  That might run a bit hotter.....

Looks good.... the current video cards especially have gotten greater performance with less power draw, and the nVidia specs for that card recommend at least a 500W power supply, which you have easily.  That card draws 180 watts maximum, and 75 watts will come up to it from the PCIe x16 slot it is plugged in to.  That leaves 105 watts max to be supplied from the supplemental power cable(s), which have been rated for max 18A of 12VDC, each, in the more recent higher end HP workstations.  If you wish to aggregate two of those HP 6-pin cables into a single 8-pin plug for that card (which it wants) you can do that.  However, a 6-pin to 8-pin plug adapter would suffice, for one of those HP cables, but I don't know where HP gets the ones they document in the post documents below.  I'd prefer to aggregate two of the cables if I could not be sure of having a HP-quality 6-to-8 adapter.  I know they exist, but have never seen proof of where to get them without buying the HP video card they would come with.

Your Z600's PCIe x16 video slot is PCIe Generation 2 and that card can run to PCIe Generation 3 specifications but will also run fine in your Generation 2 slot.  There are some recent posts here about how much higher wattage than ATX standards the HP "6-pin" supplemental PCIe cables can supply.  Even to the point that HP documents show some single 6-pin to dual 6-pin adapters, and some single 6-pin to 8-pin adapters noted above.  Here's a link that includes the HP wattage/6 pin PCIe supplemental cable info for the Z620, and I'm sure the Z600 also has those cables rated well over the ATX standard too.... HERE.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z620-Workstation...

So, I'm sure you're fine......

HP Recommended

Great thank you for the answer.

HP Recommended
I just did this with a GTX 1070 Ti. I'm an engineer so I added a couple of wires directly to the power supply for the extra wires. It did work, however in graphics intensive games my machine shuts off and reboots without notice. I was able to work around that with a higher power power supply, but it's not something I could fit in the case so it's not a great solution. I know this is an old post but I thought I'd share. This was the most relevant post I found on the subject before I tried the card I got.
HP Recommended

I have installed GTX 980TI on Z600,  2nd power is installed to support the display card and it could help to solve the unexpected reboot issue.

It works great in desktop publishing but the frame rate on Cinebench is very low (around 52 fps)

HP Recommended

Hi Ace,

it's been a while you posted this. But as you mention an external power supply to the card, how did you connect the card to the HP Z600 & the external ATX power supply?

I suspect that pin 8 and a ground pin on  the main power supply connector of the motherboard will supply the necessary "power good" signal for the external ATX PSU.

Can you shed some light on how you physically connect to achieve the power good signal?

Thanks so much,

Franziska

Ps.: I have a HP Z800

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.