Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, i've got a Z620 which is suddenly very very loud. All fans a at high speed. When I check HP Performance advisor my CPU0 temprature is at 128 degrees C. But everything is cool. Chassis temp is at 18 degrees C. I‘ve changed the CPU heatsink and fan to change the temp sensor but this did not solve the problem. Is there‘s an another CPU temp sensor? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The CPU temperature sensors is actually located on the CPU itself. In fact there is 1 sensor per CPU core.

Please install and run CPUID HWMonitor to confirm the temperature readings. There aren't any CPU's that I know that will allow the CPU to run when the temperature reads 128°C ! ! ! The CPU will/should automatically shut itself down if the CPU goes above a 'critical over-temperature' scenario. What CPU(s) do you have installed?

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Hi Brian! The CPU temps for each core is normal. I've attached a screenshot which shows the core temps and the HP performance advisor. The fans runnig at 100% directly when I start the workstation - when the HP logo shows up at the POST. z620_CPU_temp.png

HP Recommended

While I'm waiting for the image you posted to be approved by the moderators, can you please confirm what CPU(s) you have installed?

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Sure:

XEON E5-2630v2 @2,6GHz
HP Recommended

Would I be correct to assume that the computer was working normally, then one day, after switching on the computer the problem appeared? i.e. you didn't change anything on the computer just before the problem occurred.

It seems quite strange that Core Temp appears to indicate the correct CPU temperatures, but Performance Advisor apparently does not? However, Core Temp does not show the CPU Package temperature - there is a missing sensor reading. Can you please download and install HWMonitor to read this sensor and post a snip. e.g. 

HWM.JPG

HP Recommended

You are right. Suddenly while working in Photoshop the fans turn to 100% and didn't stop since then. Even when I switch off the workstation for night or something like this, the fans go to 100% directly after switching on the workstation. There was no software installation or something like this.

I made a screenshot with CPUID HWMonitor. Package temp seems to be normal. Like all other temps. But in PA there's still 128 degrees C.

z620_hwmonitor.png

HP Recommended

try to reset bios using jumper if not working pull off the battery and discharge PC

HP Recommended

Hi! BIOS reset doesn‘t solve the problem. Even put out the battery doesn‘t help...bios Version is J61 v03.96

HP Recommended

It certainly doesn't appear to be a CPU problem since both Core Temp and HWMonitor are showing normal CPU temperatures, and also the fact that your CPU hasn't crashed, (i.e. went into thermal shutdown).

Here are a couple of suggestions you could try, (but I'm not sure exactly what the root cause of the problem is, possibly the BIOS, or Windows/software related - more of a process of elimination);

Check for any changes after each step.

1. Check the fan idle speed setting in the BIOS. (Power > Thermal > Fan Idle Mode).  Set this to its lowest value, e.g. -----, then reboot the computer for the BIOS changes to be applied. Do the fans still stay at maximum speed after the reboot?

2. Try loading the BIOS default values. Make sure you select Save & Exit to apply the default settings.

3. If possible, try restoring your system (Windows) to an earlier date,  i.e. before the problem occurred, (using Windows Restore).

4. Remove HPPA and re-install the latest version.

5. Try removing and re-seating all PCI cards, all the ram modules and re-seat all the connectors on the motherboard e.g. PSU, fans, drives, etc. (NOTE: When the PSU is unplugged from the motherboard, preform a PSU BIST - Built-In-Self-Test as detailed in the maintenance and service guide).

6. If none of the above fix the problem, carefully remove the CPU, clean the CPU contacts with alcohol (IPA), and carefully re-mount the CPU back on the motherboard. (Optical lens/glasses cleaning wipes can be used). While you have the CPU removed, carefully inspect the motherboard CPU socket pins for any signs of damage or contamination. - Looking at the CPU socket directly from above, check all the pins are aligned correctly. Looking at the CPU socket from the side, check that all the pins are at the same height.

7. The final step would be to attempt a BIOS Crisis Recovery.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.