Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z620 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP Z620 Workstation.

My processor is a Intel Xeon E5-2660 SR0KK 2.2GHZ 20MB 8 GT/s LGA 2011 8-Core CPU.  More properly it is a Xeon E5-26xx (dual-processor) category, 8 cores, frequency 2.2 GHz, turbo 5/5/6/6/7/7/8/8, L2 cache 8 × 256 KB, L3 cache 20 MB, TDP 95 W, Socket LGA 2011, I/O bus 2 × 8.0 GT/s QPI, Memory 4 × DDR3-1600, Release date March 6, 2012, Part number CM8062107184801.  It is version 1, not version 2, which is good because my system board's boot block date is 12/20/2011.

I am using Kingston ValueRAM 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1333MHz DIMM Desktop Server Memory.   (I have alternatively trying to rule out a memory problem used Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM - Black (HX313C9FBK2/8)) as well in it, to see if that made a difference.)

I don't know how to identify my System Board other than that it reads numbers like "FMB-1102" and "PBLNV0GCY4N0TF" and "AS#618264-001 REV 0G".  It has "hp (copyright symbol) 2012" and "E93839" and "FXN1" written on it as well.  (After some research I guess it is System Board 618264-001.  Which would differentiate it from a System Board like 619559-001 - a later model?)

My graphics card is an XFX R7 240 780MHz 4GB DDR3 HDMI DVI VGA Graphics Card.  (I have alternatively trying to rule out a video card problem used an EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 620 1GB DDR3 SDRAM PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card to see if that would make a difference.)

In terms of the Power Supply Unit, the standard HP Z620 Computer PC 800W Power Supply S10-800P1A 623194-002 717019-001 PSU.  (I have more than one and have tested that also.)

In terms of hard drive, I formatted and re-used a WD Blue 500GB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD5000AAKX.

My problem:

1. Regardless of which video card I use, if I use Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM - Black (HX313C9FBK2/8) memory in it, and boot up, I get a blue light, no beeps, no post codes that I can tell.  However no power is supplied to the video card (fans won't spin), and no power is supplied to the hard drive (doesn't try to load and run it).  I get a blank screen and can see nothing.  Then the back fans begin to spin in turbo mode and very loudly.

2. Regardless of which video card I use, if I use the Kingston ValueRAM 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1333MHz DIMM Desktop Server Memory, I will get a red light and eight beeps which signifies some sort of a ROM problem/CMOS problem/BIOS problem.  To this end, I have tried pressing the Clear CMOS button to no avail.  I have removed the CMOS battery for a sufficient period of time and put it back in.  Nothing changes this situation.  It only happens when I put this particular memory into the computer.  If I stick a USB Thumb Drive with a BIOS file (BIN) on it that is 3.xx or greater, it will boot to that BIOS on a limited basis.  I also had to figure out that I couldn't get it to do anything with a USB keyboard, I could only select options using a PS/2 keyboard - perhaps it locks out certain USB devices at this point?  

3. I figured out that if I leave the Crisis Recovery Jumper on the 2nd and 3rd pins rather than the 1st and 2nd pins, that it will load from a backup and I can actually do things.   Based on this, I was able to install Windows 10 Education 64-bit, and a host of programs, and otherwise use the computer normally.  But I cannot boot unless I keep that Crisis Recovery Jumper set to the 2nd and 3rd pins and hit F1 so that it can boot into the OS normally.  

4. I have while in Windows, updated the BIOS to the most current version, HP Z420/Z620 Workstations System BIOS 3.90 Rev.A(8 Aug 2016) using sp77058.exe (19 MB).  I have also updated the other drivers as I could using the HP SoftPaq Download Manager (SDM).  None of this changes the problem in the initial boot up.  At boot up it complains the Front Chassis Fan is not running, but this is not a problem that I suspect would halt a boot up, it would just give a warning and still boot normally.

Pretty much my computer works and is functional as long as I keep that Crisis Recovery Jumper on.  But I feel like I should be able to rectify the problem and get it to boot without such interference and without resorting to such a drastic measure.  Any suggestions anyone?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Mr. J.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Juggerknight,

Keep the boot block recovery jumper on pins 2 to 3 of E15.  This is "off" because pin 3 is not connected.  Putting the jumper from pins 2 to 3 "parks" the jumper.  Putting the jumper on pins 1 to 2 activates the boot block recovery mode, and the system will not boot with the jumper in this "on" position.  (You already found this out)

Also, do not mix unbuffered and registered memory in the same system.  Use only one or the other.   

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Sounds like there is some non-supported hardware in your unit. (EG: The Ram.)

Does the system function properly with any newly added hardware removed?

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Hello iMaxx,

I would not know how the system performs with "standard hardware", as I didn't receive the system as a fully configured put together system.

All I received when I purchased it as a project was the tower, power supply, cables, system board, and CPU.  I had to put it together to get it up and working.  So I wouldn't be able to answer the question of whether it functions properly with the newly added hardware removed, since I didn't receive it with the standard stuff?

I know I've seen lists of which CPUs (by manufacturer, specifics and description) are compatible with the HP Workstations based on version/revision dates.  But I've never seen a document that indicates which specific manufacturer or particular product RAM types are supported.  All I have read is this page here:

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/downloads/z620_memory_configurations.pdf

It references a Memory Technology White Paper, but I haven't seen that.  According to that document it said that the Workstation supported:

• 2 GB and 4 GB PC3-12800E 1600MHz DDR3 Unbuffered ECC DIMMs
  • 4 GB and 8 GB PC3-12800R 1600MHz DDR3 Registered DIMMs
  • 1.35V and 1.5V DIMMs are supported, but the system will operate the DIMMs at 1.5V only.
  • 2 Gb and 4 Gb based DIMMs are supported.

So I am guessing that I need to obtain RAM that fits more the specifications in the first and second bullet points?  Because the third and fourth sound a bit more vague and open ended.

Mr. J.

HP Recommended

I also found this;

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04164501&search=z620

May help?

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Mr.J.

Without any display and error notices, except the fan not running leads me to think of BIOS trouble, although you tried restting CMOS which didn't help. It's difficult to narrow the prospective problem. 

However, the fan not running may be the trouble.  When I was upgrading a z620  I didn't seat the CPU/ memory shroud properly.  Consequently, the memory fans  were not getting power and the system would not start.  Servers and workstations are very protective of potential thermal stress.

First check  that the shroud is seated properly so the little 6? pin connector is fully seated, and see what happens.

If that doesn't improve the situation, as you are starting from a blind point, consider resetting the crisis jumpers to normal and again clearing CMOS.  I installed the 3.90 BIOS in a z620 and the start up became very slow and it flashed though 8 or 10 screens of what appeared to be three of four copies of BIOS.  Clearing CMOS restored it to  business as usual.

If you can see the BIOS screen on restart, check that the factory default settings are restored.

If you have further problems,  try running the system on a Windows installation disk or WinPE.  Also, consider loading the original OEM Windows 7 Professional which you can do at no cost and which will activate automatically.

Cheers,

BambiBoomZ

HP z620 (Rev 2) 2X Xeon E5-2690 (8-core @ 2.9 /3.8GHz) / 40GB DDR3-1600 ECC) / Quadro K2200 (4GB) / HP Z Turbo Drive (256GB)  / 800W > Windows 7 Professional 64-bit >  HP 2711x  (27"  1980 X 1080)
[ Passmark System Rating= 5322 / CPU= 19675 / 2D= 767 / 3D = 3544/ Mem =2337 / Disk = 12951 ] 8.15.16

HP Recommended

Brian1965,

Thanks, that helps a lot!

That's what I was looking for in terms of making sure that the next memory purchase I make uses bonafide supported memory.

I will bookmark that, save the PDF file, etc.

Mr. J.

HP Recommended

BambiBoomZ,

I will give each of these suggestions a try and report back.

Thanks for the input and leads.

Mr. J.

HP Recommended

Juggerknight,

Keep the boot block recovery jumper on pins 2 to 3 of E15.  This is "off" because pin 3 is not connected.  Putting the jumper from pins 2 to 3 "parks" the jumper.  Putting the jumper on pins 1 to 2 activates the boot block recovery mode, and the system will not boot with the jumper in this "on" position.  (You already found this out)

Also, do not mix unbuffered and registered memory in the same system.  Use only one or the other.   

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

The answers given by BambiBoomZ and Dan_WGBU seem to have solved everything.

What I learned from Dan_WGBU: That I mixed up my thoughts on the Crisis Recovery Jumper.  To be fair, I have not been able to find documentation about it and have been guessing based on what I read about other systems.  I now realize that on E15, pins 2 and 3 are the normal setting, and pins 1 and 2 are the Boot Block Recovery Mode.  So that means my system was not making an error on the Kingston ValueRAM 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1333MHz DIMM Desktop Server Memory and that it still accepts this type of RAM.  When I purchased it, I bought it because it was a 240-pin Registered, ECC DIMM which is compatible.  For whatever reason, when the System Board was shipped to me, it came with the jumper already on pins 1 and 2 and I had assumed that was the correct position, which was wrong.

What I learned from BambiBoomZ: While it is possible to change a setting in the BIOS to turn off the need to press F1 for Configuration Changes, that it will always force me to use F1 when there are issues such as fans not running.  I found the cable for the Front Chassis Fan and connected it, which got rid of that warning.  I had to carefully re-attach the Memory Fan, as it wasn't fully pushed into the 6-pin connector.  That got rid of the Memory Fan and Memory Fan (2) warnings.  Then I no longer needed to press F1, and I could boot into Windows normally without intervention.

So this problem appears to be fully resolved that I can tell.  Thank you everyone for the input, and the assistance.

Mr. J.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.