Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi i have one Z620 dual Xeon 2,2gHz 32 gb ram psu 800 w

i can install one GTX 1080 nvidia ?

the problem is: i have 2 6  pin 75w connector there are enought power to convert one 6 pin to 8 pin 150W connector ?

and how many watts need the graphics card?

this is the power consumprion of GTX 1080 Founders Edition:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the update on the actual max wattage..... 216W each.  With use of SSDs these days rather than RAID of two big power hog HDDs instead your power supply has more breathing room.  I see no reason to not use that card.

I checked.... there are some of those HP adapters on eBay with asking price about 50.00, but you could offer less and see if you come to an agreement.

That is a nice HP product, but these are just wires...... I personally would simply get one with 3 12VDC inputs and the other 5 of the 8 pin end having all the other holes attached to ground.  I think the Startech one does that.  Its only about 7.00.  This is not rocket science.... but I do like that HP one!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

This has been posted about here before..... go look at your Z620 power supply and on its side you'll see the power amperage for each of your two 6-pin PCIe supplemental power cables.  The black ends on those cables have their alphanumeric designation printed on them.

The HP amperage is a lot more than the ATX standard of 75W/6-pin cable.  Thus, you can do more with each of those than a standard cable.... One 6-wire HP PCIe supplemental power cable can act as an 8 pin with the right adapter.  Buy good name brand ones, not junk.

How many watts for your card?  It is easier for you to Google it than me.... I don't know the brand you bought.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.

I want to install one PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

it look like consumption:

Consumption (idle) 12 W

Consumption (gaming) 188 W

Consumption (stress test) 202 W

with  1 x 8 pin

i select this because the GPU don't go more than 65 / 68° C and i want to use one 4k monitor 4096 x 2160

to 3d graphics editing and intensive computation

and i think it would the best on their low price.

HP Recommended

This all can be quite confusing.  Here is the key info:

Some "6-pin" PCIe cables don't include three +12VDC wires..... some only have two (the ATX standard does not require three).  However, your Z620 is engineered above the ATX standard and has three +12VDC wires in each of its PCIe supplemental power cables (with quite a high wattage rating for each cable, well above the 75W ATX standard, and the actual wattage for each is printed on the side of your power supply if you look).

Second, part of how an 8-pin receptacle knows that it is hooked to a high wattage supplemental PCIe power cable is that  it expects to see ground at each of the 5 non +12VDC pins.  It wants 3 with power and 5 that are ground, all in the right places.

You have more than enough power coming from your Z620 power supply through just one of its two 6-wire PCIe supplemental cables to make your card very happy if you use a proper 6-to-8 PCIe supplemental power adapter.

That is, get one with three (not two) +12VDC power wires built in.  You don't want to bring three +12VDC wires to 6 inches from the card and switch over to 2 wires there at the adapter... those +12VDC wires are usually yellow.  Also you want ground wires to populate the other 5 sockets or the card will protest.  Some of those grounds will be coming from the power supply and others will be via little short jumpers right at the plug.  Does not matter..... ground is ground, but the card must see those.  So, from the HP power supply will come 3 positive, and 3 ground wires, and the adapter will provide the card 3 positive and 5 grounds.

There are some video cards that have 8 pin sockets that don't demand all these things, but not yours....  Some cards may have a 8 pin socket but be happy if you just plug a 6-pin plug into 6 of the 8 receptacles, but not yours......

Get a good brand name one, not some cheap junk.  Startech will treat you well.  Know the difference between a 6-pin to 8-pin motherboard power connector adapter..... don't get that.  Here is some added info, copied and pasted from another source:

"The 6-pin PCI-E power connector ATX specification includes two 12V wires and three ground wires and has a rated maximum power output of 75W. The 8-pin includes three 12V wires and 5 ground wires and has a rated power output of 150W. source  "

The HP approach is better, by not following the ATX standard, and knowing these details lets you not worry when you use a proper adapter.

HP Recommended

I can't get to a Z620 right now, but my recollection is that the wattage for each of the PCIe supplemental power cables coming out of the power supply is over 200W.  You will only find that by opening your case and looking..... I have never seen that documented except there (and in my prior posts about it here).

Second..... HP does provide a HP-quality 6-to-8 adapter, shown below.  Part number is 683867-001, and those only come with high end HP video cards that have the 8-pin socket built into the card.  I doubt you could buy those straight from HP.....

2 HP 6-to-8 pin 683867-001.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot !!!!

Thi is PSU label:

hpz620_800w.JPG

you are right V12 and 18A for G1 = 6 pin and G2 = 6 pin

then 12*18 = 216W

from the web site of PNY 8 pin card requirement is 190W

and this is the cable with HP N° 683867-001

z620_P1_P2_6to8.jpg

The problem is finally PNY GTX 1080 XLR8 could work with this cable?

Thanks for the good information

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update on the actual max wattage..... 216W each.  With use of SSDs these days rather than RAID of two big power hog HDDs instead your power supply has more breathing room.  I see no reason to not use that card.

I checked.... there are some of those HP adapters on eBay with asking price about 50.00, but you could offer less and see if you come to an agreement.

That is a nice HP product, but these are just wires...... I personally would simply get one with 3 12VDC inputs and the other 5 of the 8 pin end having all the other holes attached to ground.  I think the Startech one does that.  Its only about 7.00.  This is not rocket science.... but I do like that HP one!

HP Recommended

Hi

I have a HP z620 in which I try to install a asus geforce gtx 760 directcu ii. So I should be able to install reading the above discussion. But how should I connect the Pcie cabel to the psu? The connectione are already occupied. I have tried with  split cacbel so a 8 pin (male) goes from the graphics card to two 8 pins 1 male to psu and one to the  cable that was connected previously to the psu? But the card doesn't get enough power. Do I need to split the 8 pin from the card to two 6 pins? And connect to one 8 pin and one 6 pin from the psu?

it generate a lot of splits and cables, so maybe not so nice solution (if it work at all). 

on the motherboard it looks like 12 pin mini pcie connection, can this one be used with a 8 pin to dual 6 pin?

HP Recommended

Huh?.....Micke77, i can't make any sense of your sentence......

from the z620 power supply you have two six pin GPU power cables

your video card has a single eight pin power connector

therefor you need a single  dual  6 to 8 pin adapter (GutsParker Dual 6-Pin Female to 8-Pin Male Cable)

https://www.amazon.com/GutsParker-6-Pin-Female-8-Pin-Cable/dp/B01J77U34Y

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusing sentence. In short, tried to write that there is no free Pcie contacts available from the psu and I tried to overcome that by using several dual/split cables. So I don't understand how to connect with 8 to dual 6 pin adapter in my z620.

The 12 pin contact was not on the motherboard but just on the side (see photo). I can't connect a 6 pin pcie to this it is much wider. 

IMG_6093.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.