Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. As the HP 6pin cable rating is at 18A which I worried other cable may not accommodate that current (normally a few Amp) (Of course, under normal circumstances, it should not use that much current). Another issue is the pin sequence, whether that is special for HP or a generic 6pin to 8pin config. If someone has used other brand of cable can share would be ideal. 

Form another post, I read someone said 460621-002. Still researching.

HP Recommended

the HP cable is over engineered, you do not need or require a 18 amp rating and the pinout for a 6 to 8 pin GPU adapter is a standard pinout

all of the links i posted are from major venders who make quality products (EVGA is also a video card maker!!)

as i posted, the brand does not matter (the adapters are generic parts) what does matter is the wire thickness/strands used

and the metal connectors that mate the adapter with the PSU connector

HP Recommended

Great ! I'll order one from your suggestion. Many thanks.

HP Recommended

I personally use a cheap 6$ ebay one.  Works fine. I am not about to put a 50$ cable in a 600$-800$ box.

HP Recommended

hmmmm,....right skimping and buying a no name adapter or from a no name seller off ebay and toasting the 6/8 hundred dollar system + the 600 dollar 2080 card is obviously the way everyone should go

as i said buying a gpu adapter off ebay can be risky as every now and then someone posts for sale a crap adapter and since most sellers of these adapters don't state the number of wire strands or wire gauge used it can be hard to seperate the good ones from the crap ones

buying a adapter from a major company that sells on amazon/newegg is a bit safer as these large companies value their name brand/reputation and as such are unlikely to release crap products

HP Recommended

That is what I did and shared my experience with it... why do you have a problem with that? I did not actually give any advice.

Now let me answer you in the same crap attitude that you did: make sure you are using cables that have gold connectors. What if they corrode? I also have some snake oil you might be interested in.

HP Recommended

DGroves,

"hmmmm,....right skimping and buying a no name adapter or from a no name seller off ebay and toasting the 6/8 hundred dollar system + the 600 dollar 2080 card is obviously the way everyone should go"

When is the basis for suggesting that any 6 to 8-pin adapter could  "toast" a system?  These adapters are very short runs and even if the wire was small diameter, the resistance at the probable current rates is not substantial.  Remember that the current through each adapter is 1/2 of the total, that the PCIe slot provides 75W of the power, that current GPU's are quite energy efficient, and workstation power supplies are conservatively rated.  An RTX 2070 is a 175W GPU, the slot provides 75W- and probably more, so the maximum draw through each adapter is 50W . I run a GTX 1070 Ti , rated at 180W in a z620 using two $6 generic- well, no brand I'd ever heard of, 6 to 8-pin adapter without any problems and above average 3D benchmarks. 

"as i said buying a gpu adapter off ebay can be risky as every now and then someone posts for sale a crap adapter and since most sellers of these adapters don't state the number of wire strands or wire gauge used it can be hard to seperate the good ones from the crap ones"

Neither the HP nor EVGA adapters to which you link state the wire gauge, nor have I been able to find that information.  I've only rarely seen an specification for those diameters. Here's an exception:

https://www.amazon.com/Womail-6-pin-8-pin-Express-Converter/dp/B073XJN2NL/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=6pin+t...

> in which the wire of this "Womail" $0.75 (plus $0.99 shipping) adapter is stated as 18 AWG . Do you think that 6X 12cm 18 GA wires could safely carry 50W?

I would mention in this regard that  the common standard for 6 to 8-pin adapters states that the wires should be yellow / black.  Also, it makes sense to expose those wires so the pin connection on the connections can be verified. I would not buy a connector of this type in which I could not verify the pin out.  Notice that the $0.75 Womail uses exposed yellow and black wires.

"buying a adapter from a major company that sells on amazon/newegg is a bit safer as these large companies value their name brand/reputation and as such are unlikely to release crap products"

With regard to buying from a major company, yes, I would always trust HP products for the 6 HP workstations I've had- when it's a complex, critical component. I've purchased HP for : two monitors, RAID controller, all the memory I've added in upgrades, HP branded GPU, and Z Turbo Drive M.2. However, Amazon and Newegg sell  every level of computer accessories, re: the aforementioned Womail $0.75 adapter.

BambiBoomZ

HP z620_2 (2017) (R7) > Xeon E5-1680 v2 (8-core@ 4.3GHz) / z420 Liquid Cooling / 64GB DDR3-1866 ECC Reg / Quadro P2000 5GB _ GTX 1070 Ti 8GB / HP Z Turbo Drive M.2 256GB AHCI + Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB + HGST 7K6000 4TB / 825W PSU /> HP OEM Windows 7 Prof.’l 64-bit

HP Recommended

bambiboom, i,ve personally seen the damage a poor connector/adapter can cause!! and in reguards to no name GPU 6 to 8 pin adapters i've personally seen two  adapters where the wires used in the adapter were much thinner than the normal 18gauge and the maker used thicker insulation on the wire to hide this as copper costs more than plastic and the actual metal connector used in the adapter failed to make a tight fit after 3 or 4 removal/insertions

while most adapters on ebay are hopefully quality parts, as i pointed out why take the chance when name brand venders sell the same part for perhaps  one or two dollars more and as i previously pointed out are usually protective of their brand/company reputation and less likely to release sub standard items 

and if you REREAD my previous post i pointed out that while good units are sold on ebay, it can be hard to seperate the good from the bad.................nowhere did i state that all adapters were bad only that it could be hard to determine  a good generic adapter from a  badly made one on ebay since no specs are given other than it's a 6 to 8 pin adapter

and to make a point, perhaps you would like to install one of those no name 750 watt power supplies that sell for around  29 to 40 dollars new  on ebay into your personal computer?  me,..... i'll stick with the name brands

just google for " melted molex adapter"  or "melted gpu adapter" and you can spend hours reading about this

while the causes of a melted connector can be quite numerous, using a cheaply made connector in my opinion  will increase the chance of a failure over a quality connector in most cases

HP Recommended

I posted some working Adapter from Amazon for $1-$2 a pice. 

HP Recommended

HI,

I just have the Gigabyte Winforce GTX 2070 installed on the z620. I can have the monitor display, but I don't think the 2070 driver is installed properly as I cannot see the card under the Display Adapters (instead, it shows Microsoft  Basic Display Adapter). I tried to run the Gigabyte setup but the app windows empty/freeze. I am running Windows Server 2012 R2. Not sure if this is the problem. Any advise ?

BTW, I have updated the BIOS to the latest 3.94. Should I update other drivers / BIOS Chipset ?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.