Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.  I just bought a used HP Z640 workstation and I wanted to upgrade the RAM in the machine.  Currently the machine has:

• 2 sticks of Samsung M393A1K43BB1-CTD6Y
    • 8GB per DIMM for total of 16GB in the system
    • Registered ECC
    • Rated for 2666MHz

While looking for RAM options online, I started to wonder if the RAM currently installed in the system was even being used to its full potential.  I have the following questions:

• What is the maximum supported frequency of RAM for my HP Z640?
  • Does the machine have XMP support?

For reference, the system currently has 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620v3 CPUs installed, and the BIOS is version 2.57 (May 2021).

Thanks in advance for your time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

xmp is a non official method to overclock ram, as such it is not supported by HP on servers/workstations where stability is paramount

ram speed is set by the motherboards chipset and cpu installed,  lower end cpu's will have a slower ram speed limit compared to a highend cpu

check the HP z640 quickspecs for supported cpu's/ram module speeds

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z640-workstation/6978835/document/c04496994

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

xmp is a non official method to overclock ram, as such it is not supported by HP on servers/workstations where stability is paramount

ram speed is set by the motherboards chipset and cpu installed,  lower end cpu's will have a slower ram speed limit compared to a highend cpu

check the HP z640 quickspecs for supported cpu's/ram module speeds

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z640-workstation/6978835/document/c04496994

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for the information, it pretty much confirms what I was thinking before I even posted, just thought I'd check around with others.  I actually found a great deal on Newegg on some Crucial RDIMMs, 8GB DDR4-2133.  They were $26.96, brand new.  Couldn't believe my luck!  It was outside my budget, but I spent the money on 8 sticks.  Worth taking advantage of.  Anyways, thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.