dvladb
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP Z800 BIOS

HP Recommended
Z800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The HP Z800 BIOS does not detect all the cores of the processor. Of the four, only two cores and four streams are defined. How to fix?

6 REPLIES 6
DGroves
Level 11
4,682 4,656 440 987
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

first of all what processor model is installed? and do you have one or two cpu sockets filled

you can get the cpu info from right clicking on your  desktops computer icon, and selecting "properties"

in the window that pops up you will see a line stating the installed cpu model and how cpu's are installed 

once that is known we can help you further

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
dvladb
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
HP Z800 version 3, the processor is one - Xeon E5620, RAM - 24 GB
DGroves
Level 11
4,682 4,656 440 987
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the Xeon E5620 is a 4 core with hyperthereading (if enabled in the bios) so task manager should show either 4 or 8 cores

there are no bios options other than hyperthreading which change the installed core count if the cpu you listed is installed then you either have a bad cpu, or a bad cpu socket (socket can have bent pins)

the z800 only has one model, which has had two major motherboard revisions the original board which only supports 55xx xeons and the later v2 boards the support 55xx/56xx cpu's

while some people have made v1 boards run 56xx cpu's

the results vary from working fine to random weirdness to no boot

i mention this just to rule out a 56xx cpu on a rev 1 motherboard

From a post SDH did a while back:

Go into the F10 BIOS BIOS settings, and look at the Boot Block Date in System Information.
     If the boot block date is 01/30/2009, the system only supports the Intel 55xx processors.
     If the boot block date is 11/10/2009, the system supports both Intel 55xx and 56xx processors.

dvladb
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
the board fully complies with the parameters for 56xx. from fellow BIOS 3.2 the board is working normally. I upgraded to 3.6 and the board does not work nominally!
DGroves
Level 11
4,682 4,656 440 987
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not understand :

from fellow BIOS 3.2 the board is working normally. I upgraded to 3.6 and the board does not work nominally!

please try to describe just what you did in terms that a english speaking person can  understand

do you mean you flashed bios ver 3.60  (what was the previous bios 3.20?)

i would recomend you power off the system, remove the power cord press the power button for 10 sec then

remove the side panel and press the small white button (near the cmos battery) for 5 sec to do a full cmos reset

after doing a cmos reset reenter the bios and reconfigure any  nessary settings and reset the time

dvladb
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Reset the BIOS. Nothing changed. With enabled hypertrading, it shows two cores and four threads. BIOS Version 3.6
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation