Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Z800 (Purchased used from Ebay), ocassionally reboots.

The system is thrown back tothe initial screen, where it starts the booting process. The system does this randomly and sometimes just after a process is started that may be intensive (like editing photos or audio data).

Is there a routine diagnostic that I can apply to find the issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I believe I have solved the issue: 

01) Replaced power supply

02) New BIOS Motherboard battery

03) Update BIOS to 3.60

No more sudden reboots.

Thank you all for your help. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

It seems like a heat realted issue since it happens when using processor intensive apps. Windows will then by defaul automatically re-boot to protect the computer.

To stop the computer from re-booting, deactivate "Automatically restart" in Windows 10. See link below.

By doing this you will get a blue screen next time it happens and the info provided there can help out when finding out the issue since it can be hardware/software related. For example, if it is the driver to the graphics card the driver will be listed on the blue screen. Use google to find out wich driver it is, if it is driver related that is.

To start with, open the computer and make sure to remove all dust inside it since dust is the number one reason behind heat issues.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html

How to remove dust: https://www.google.se/search?q=remove+dust+inside+computer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe...

HP Recommended

Thank you.

I will apply the suggestions today.

Are there any tools that can run diagnostics and save information for me to share with the forums?

HP Recommended

I also want to note that when it reboots - I get a message indicating that the cmos memory is not current. Perhaps the CMOS battery is dead?

HP Recommended

Are there any tools that can run diagnostics and save information for me to share with the forums?

Yes, download "HP Vision Diagnostics Offline Edition" from HP´s site. (For USB or DVD)

I also want to note that when it reboots - I get a message indicating that the cmos memory is not current. Perhaps the CMOS battery is dead?

I don´t know acutally, but the Z800 is "old" so it´s possible that the battery is dead or at least soon-to-be-dead.

HP Recommended

@kbruff2016 wrote:

My Z800 (Purchased used from Ebay), ocassionally reboots.

The system is thrown back tothe initial screen, where it starts the booting process. The system does this randomly and sometimes just after a process is started that may be intensive (like editing photos or audio data).

Is there a routine diagnostic that I can apply to find the issue?

You might also want to check if the heatsink(s) are firmly in place against the CPU(s). Given the age of the machine it is also a good idea to repalce the thermal paste on the CPU's.

To verify that this is CPU heat related, run a CPU intensive stress test such as Prime95 and also have on screen something like HWinfo to monitor the temperatures.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I tried the earlier suggestions, the system does not stay on for any amount of time, reliably. It is simply not a stable problem.

I cleaned the machine, checked all attachments, etc. Nothing seems to be working - it is a puzzling problem.

I do not know what else to do? Is it possible that someone can log into it and see the log files to get a clue?

HP Recommended

Thank you - very much.

I see only one battery on the MB - which I removed and I have since ordered a new one.

I am totally stuck - I ran the diagnostic within the OS and it rebooted - just so suddenly.

I may just let it go -- craiglist or something ... it is a like benz of a computer ... but I am not sure what to do.

HP Recommended

@Z440Roger wrote:

It seems like a heat realted issue since it happens when using processor intensive apps. Windows will then by defaul automatically re-boot to protect the computer.

To stop the computer from re-booting, deactivate "Automatically restart" in Windows 10. See link below.

By doing this you will get a blue screen next time it happens and the info provided there can help out when finding out the issue since it can be hardware/software related. For example, if it is the driver to the graphics card the driver will be listed on the blue screen. Use google to find out wich driver it is, if it is driver related that is.

To start with, open the computer and make sure to remove all dust inside it since dust is the number one reason behind heat issues.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html

How to remove dust: https://www.google.se/search?q=remove+dust+inside+computer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe...

- Hi do you have any insight as to how I can determine if the power supply is operating normaly once the system is fully booted? I have a colleague that suggested that it could be the power supply, and that a potential test could be performed?

HP Recommended

@Z440Roger wrote:

Yes, download "HP Vision Diagnostics Offline Edition" from HP´s site. (For USB or DVD)

I don´t know acutally, but the Z800 is "old" so it´s possible that the battery is dead or at least soon-to-be-dead.

- Hi do you have any insight as to how I can determine if the power supply is operating normaly once the system is fully booted? I have a colleague that suggested that it could be the power supply, and that a potential test could be performed?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.