Mellow52
5 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP Z800 lost half its ram

HP Recommended
Z800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Z800 with dual processors and 12 gig ram as issued directly from HP. It has 12x 1mb RAM modules and suddenly I lost 6mb.

I have removed and reseated all ram modules. I also removed both prosessors and replaced with new heatsink paste but no change.

I tested all RAM modules by swapping them around with no change.

Everything is pointing to dead slots on the MB those across Processor 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
DGroves
Level 11
4,700 4,674 442 994
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it is possible for the second cpu to go bad and have it's memory controller/QPI link go bad or have a bad connection in it's cpu socket pins the only test(s) i can think of offhand to try is swapping the cpu's in this order

1 power off and remove both cpu's marking which one was in each socket

2 install only the one cpu from the sec socket into the first cpu socket and boot  (ignore any bank 2 memory  errors)

does it  see 6gb ram?  if so go to 3

3 install the second cpu and reboot do you now see 12 or still 6gb

4 if still 6gb you can try ordering 2 cheap 1.6mhz xeons for the system and retry if you still get only 6gb then the

motherboard has failed and needs replacement

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Mellow52
Author
5 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

I did just that with no change. The sytem sees both CPUs but only half the ram. Ouch HP now I have to replace the MB.

DGroves
Level 11
4,700 4,674 442 994
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you might find it worthwhile to look at complete z800 systems or almost complete these systems can be had for just a little more than just a motherboard and wil have ram/power supply and possibly faster cpu's

this is what i did when ebay was flooded with z820 parts last year so i now have a spare pwr supply/motherboard

also don't discount the z620/820 systems you might see one that you might consider getting

Mellow52
Author
5 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was also thinking along those lines and already scowered eBay, there are many systems and parts. My problem now is that I find myself in South Africa and we all know these sytems weigh a ton so shipping will be brutal. I might just hop along with half the memory till my next USA vist and luggage one back.

Thank you.

savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,383 40 124
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

unplugged from wall, AC.

push power on to discharge things,

wait 1hour. then,

try cleaning the dead socket with pure  alcohol ?> and let it fully dry first.  I use hair dryer or my pro heat gun do dry it fast.

look in side socket,

see lint there or any odd filth there?  cat hair, dog hair, rug lint, box dust,  etc? well blow it out. (can-o-air )

look for bent pens, most times damage is from untrained people playing with memory sockets and DDR

not knowing how the locks work, first.  then force it in and damage it,

vast MOBO wrecked in this way.

my advice is get some one that knows these things to check it, for  sure doing it wrong, can cause damage.

even jamming a ram stick on backward does damage to the notches that prevent that. 

me, im retired, seen that, many times. 

the things are EBAY are not , new, those are just as bad or worse. they are used.

some do work,  its a coin toss. and shipping is not really free, if says so ,its hidden in the price.

Might take 2 trips to USA to get one MOBO used good,  and most dont even ship outside USA, a real pain that is.

why not just find another WS,  local, used,  be faster and 10x more easy, if it works.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xhp+z800+workst...

NO warranty answers by me.
savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,383 40 124
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

lay blame after it's fixed or true cause of failure is known.?  

did you check carefully that the PC has the correct Processors & matched and number sets. if 2 CPU are the DIE stepping matched?  per...

per the HP documents.??

did you flash the BIOS  or,,,,(seems not needed)

if you read the  BIOS details page, and read all CPUs it supports and you discover that your wrong CPU , is now supported if and only IF  you flash it? ( i seen no updates on this WS related)

old PCs have the bad habit of gaining wrong parts.  after all its old, not new from HP.

did you look again at your processors there

then read the line in the Z800 spec page, that says and I para phase here.

the memory speed must match or exceed  what the PROCESSOR OPTION  NEEDs, (a match)

Are all you DDR sticks matched, ? (IT WILL SLOW DOWN TO the slowest one , all)

did you know that adding memory banks you add bus capacitance. and if using wrong memory , even this can cause then next stick added to fail.

did you read the page telling you the rules on poplulating memory to the MOBO, what works and what not?

test the ram in bank 0 only, 1 at a time. to see if the sticks work DDR. 1 at a time, carefully.

this only works with the listed and shipped, HP Z800 processors, in the list.

1 GB DDR3-1333, PC3-10600E (ECC), 10.66GB/s bandwidth, CL=9 memory module

are you running one of these processors. or 2.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z800-workstation/3718645/document/c01709726

this? or faster? only those in the BIOS lists work, HP does added them sometimes.  did you look at them.

Intel Xeon W5580, 3.20 GHz, 8MB L3, 1333 MHz Memory, 130W

ok I looked and no cpu upgrades shown,not even any BIOS upgrades listed, (odd) only megaraid, blue ray and 64bit updates.

NO warranty answers by me.
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation