Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z820

I recently ordered two used Xeon E5-2667v2 on EBay and installed them to my Z820 Workstation which was running two E5-2687w0, I tested both CPUs individually, one at a time, and both CPUs installed together, with and without RAM installed. In all cases the machine would not POST and would ramp up the fans to max speed with a solid blue light in the back. I have tried clearing the CMOS and switching the recovery jumper with the new CPUs installed, and with the old CPUs installed as well. I have also tested with multipule diffrent GPUs with the same outcome.

I've pretty much tried everything I can think of but the seller insists the CPUs are not faulty. The new CPUs appear in visually excelent condition. I have no other machines or boards that could support these chips for testing.

The workstation was fully functional prior to installation of the new CPUs and is still functional after replacing the old ones, and is running the latest BIOS 3.94 Rev.A

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

KDVAH,

if the z820 is functional using the orignal Xeon E5-2687w's but not the E5-2667 v2's, consider the possibility that the motherboard is the first version, identifiable by the 2011 boot block date, whereas  an E5-X600 v2 processor requires the 2013 boot block date.

If you would, please verify the boot block date of the z820 and let us know the results.

There are so many advantages to E5 v2, if the motherboard is the early version, it is a worthwhile and not a difficult nor very expensive task to change to a second version motherboard. 

The E5-2667 v2 8C@ 3.3 / 4.0Ghz is an extremely high level performer, with both good single thread and multi-core performance and 130W plus the capability of using 1866 RAM instead of 1600.  The only dual CPU cjoice above it in the same category of single and multi-core performance balance is the E5-2687w v2 which anyway is 150W and demands liquid cooling. 

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

I am unable to bring the machine offline currently but I am able to take a look inside the case and the board is dated 2012 PCB REV 1.00. I would assume that means it wouldn't support the chips then correct?

HP Recommended

KOVAH,

The 2012 REV 1.00 motherboard designation is most probably a first version.  The conclusive indication is the notation of the Boot Block Date on the main setup page of BIOS. As SDH notes,  the first version = 12/28/11 and the second version = 3/6/2013.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

EDIT:  Corrected processor change info related to version 1 vs version 2 of the ZX00 and ZX20 workstations.

I think you have a version 1.... I'd bet a beer on it I'm sorry to say.  The v1 of the ZX20 workstations is still well worth having with proper V1 processor(s) installed.  The version 1 of the ZX20 workstation motherboards could only run the V1 processors but the version 2 motherboards can run both the V1 and the V2 processors.  Example:  A V1 E5-1650 is listed without the "V1" by Intel.  Then came the "E5-1650 V2".  The ZX40 next-generation processors can run "E5-1650 V3" and "E5-1650 V4" processors.  While the ZX40 socket surface is cross compatible with the ZX20 generation of workstations the beneath-the-surface socket pin morphology is different so that the V1/V2 processors are not cross compatible with V2/V3 sockets.

We have seen HP do this version 1 versus version 2 motherboard approach before.  The Z400/600/800 came out initially being able to only run the HP certified Sandy Bridge processors, but then with the version 2 motherboards of those workstations they could run both the Sandy Bridge and the Ivy Bridge HP certified processors.

If you look via Google for Z820 spare parts you'll see three system board entries on the top-listed HP page for that.  The two starting with 7 are W8 (with W7 "downgrade" rights), or Linux branded.  This has to do with "to brand, to tattoo" concept... this has to do with firmware codes that are flashed into a part of BIOS, which sets the motherboard status to be ready to accept or reject specific HP OEM COA installer DVD kits for one OS or the other (but not both).  Those HP installer kits are handy if you have them because you can clone a build from one same-tattooed workstation to others if they have the same tattoo, and they will self activate.  When you buy a HP workstation from the factory the MB will be branded already.  However, if you buy a virgin motherboard (never used) it will come without branding having been performed.  HP field service engineers usually do on-site branding in the process of a motherboard replacement, but you can too if you are very careful and know what you are doing.

The left-side part number starting with 7 and ending in -001 is for Linux, and that starting with 7 and ending in -006 is for W8 (downgrade to W7 kit also).  By looking at the white bar code label on the motherboard you cannot tell which operating system the motherboard is branded for.   Those two numbers on the left only mean that the virgin motherboard has the potential to be one or the other after branding.  You can only tell by firing up a used motherboard and trying a HP OEM COA kit during the OS load and seeing if the motherboard accepts that kit.  So, you take your chances unless the seller confirms what OS was branded on the motherboard before it was harvested for sale. 

I can't say I've ever seen an eBay ad where the seller states the motherboard's tattoo status.  A "virgin" new motherboard will not have a tattoo applied..... at that point you can tattoo for either, and the tattoo is permanent.  That process is tricky stuff, but the codes are on the outside of your case.  I have done that process for an original version 1 Z620 with a transplanted virgin v2 motherboard inserted, and then I tattooed it for W7/W8 (which is what the original case  came with).  I used the original version 1 codes off that case.  That then accepted the HP OEM COA installer kits for both the Z620 v1 and Z620 v2 equally well.  Thereafter the resulting HP OEM COA W7Pro64 build accepted a W10Pro64 gratis install from Microsoft. 

You can of course load whatever non-HP OS you want if you use a one-off OS license, of no matter what you brand the motherboard to, but we use gold master images for cloning so using the HP OEM COA W7Pro64 installer kit makes sense..

So, regarding those two left side numbers on the barcode label on the motherboard... those need to start with 7 for v2 to be possible at all.  However, the far right hand number is actually the key, and it varies between types of workstations but within the v1 versus the v2 of the Z820 workstaton the following rules alway work...... if that far right number ends in -003 or -004 you have a version 2 motherboard.  If it ends in -001 or -002 you have a version 1.  Ignore the white PCB printed info on the motherboard.... unreliable, as Bambi said.  Below are a few pics from a brief search of Z820 motherboards being sold with their original version 2 processor(s) included.  This way I was sure that they were version 2 motherboards.  It took a while but I finally created a decoder ring for all the HP workstations.  The approach is a little different for the Z420 or Z620.... but for the OP you don't have to boot up to know the answer now on your Z820.  However, that is often the easiest and most definitive way to go.

1 Z820 v2 -003 0P.jpg2 Processor on that v2 -003 Z820.jpg3 Z820 v2 -003 0L.jpg4 Z820 v2 -004 0R - 0W.jpg5 Z820 v2 -004 0R.jpg

HP Recommended

We don't use any Z820s but my notes indicate the Z620 and Z820 both have same version 1 and version 2 boot block dates:

12/28/11 is the original "Version 1" motherboard's Boot Block date (confirmed for Z620 & Z820)
3/6/13 is the "Version 2" update motherboard's Boot Block date (confirmed for Z620 & Z820)

HP Recommended

I've managed to find a board that should be a v2, its part number 708610-001 but they do not have the second AS# listed nor a picture of the barcode label. I asked him if he could take a picture of it for me but hasn't responded yet but, according to what I've seen, I have not found any boards with part number 708610 that have a AS# that ends below 003, they all appear to be 003 and 004. Unless there are any instances that I have not found yet of 708610 boards ending below AS 003 then I would say that it is safe to assume that all 708610 boards are v2.

HP Recommended

Kovah,

You have been working hard at this project.  The answer to your question is yes..... if you had access to the white bar code label from that motherboard you would find beneath 708610-001 the added SP# 708610-006, and off to the right would be the AS# 618266-003 or 618266-004.  Those both will only be version 2 Z820 motherboards.  So, yes, that is another way to be sure you are getting a version 2.  If it is a used motherboard you won't know if it is licensed to use the HP OEM COA installer kit until you try it.... odds are that it will.  If it is virgin and you need to brand/tattoo it you'll want to get back in touch.

Swapping the motherboards is pretty much plug and play..... I take some pics and also gently remover the cables from the original motherboard and use good tape to get them taped up and out of the way along the sides of the case during the transplant.  don't put strain on them, just good firm taping. with no sharp bends.  If you're lucky the seller will send the motherboard screws still attached but you also can harvest those from the original v1 also.  Take a pic so you know where they need to go.

Take a look at the earlier trials and tribulations some went through before this all got sorted out on page 1 of the thread HERE

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/z820-e5-2600-v2-ivy-bridge-upgrade/td-p/508...

This still can be very confusing.  I remember Dan_in_WGBU (our favorite HP engineer who used to help us here) post that the AS# needed to be 618266-003 (and now we know also -004) before one got a version 2 Z820 motherboard.  There is the original version 1 AS# 618266-001 and also a later version 1 AS# 618266-002.  I finally found confirmation that 618266-002 is truly a version 1 Z820 motherboard.  In that link above the poster "not applicable" details his efforts and failure with that specific motherboard to get V2 processors to work in it, and states specifically that it has the 2011 boot block date in his second post there.  Here is a picture of that version (which you don't want).  Note that its SP numbers on the left are up in the 7 range, but not as high as the v2 motherboards -003 and -004:

Z820 AS# 618266-002 0J version 1 (2).jpg

Good luck on your project... keep us posted how things turn out!

HP Recommended

Darn, 708610 boards with an AS# below 003 do exist then. I'll wait to see if the seller can get back to me on the serial numbers. If I can get a board replacement for around 200USD i'd be happy

My Z820 is also running a non-OEM version of Windows Server 2016 Standard so branding isn't really an issue.

nO1duFz

That's a photo of the machine right after I reassembled it after testing the new CPUs, as you can see this machine is pretty loaded up right now and i'd really hate to have to tear all of it apart to swap boards if I even manage to find one, but oh well.

HP Recommended

No..... see, I told you it still is confusing and this is a good example. 

That is not a set of 708614 Spare Parts numbers you see on the left.  Those numbers do start with 7.... look closer....they are 708464-001, -501, -601.

In the ZX20 version 2 motherboards HP got rid of the 708614-501 option (W8 Standard.... who wants that?).

So, you're still good to go by getting that motherboard as long as it really has 708614 as the "prefix" on the left.  You would be a fortunate fellow to get it for 200 USD.  Agree that branding is the lowest priority, but it is nice.  I have a Z440 project I'm working on that is Linux branded but have a spare used Z440 motherboard that I'm hoping is W7Pro/W8Pro branded.

Better image:

618266-002_2.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.