Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Z820 MAXIMUM HARD DISK SUPPORT HELP

Z820

Hello,

I am a student saving upto buy a used HP Z820 workstation from a local company who offered it to me without hard disks at a good price if I purchase in 2 weeks.

I am an IT student and wants to use this machine to run VMs and also host my media data on it. 

Can I use 4 x 10 TB western digital red disks on this workstation? because the HP literature says 14TB max and I am worried if I am chosing this machine that is the maximum limit. could someone please help?

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,632 2,594 229 517
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

are you sure the 14TB was not the size for a  SINGLE14TB DISK DRIVE?.... the z820 does work with this new drive size

HP only lists the max drive capacity based on the drives/drive capacity that they offered with z820 as tested/certified by HP

there are numerous other hard drive drive models (existing or brand new models) that will also work but have not been certified by HP but work fine in the z820 for most normal users. the hp certified drives are usually used/needed by people with very specific requirements (usually in the video related fields)

the limit to supported drives/capacity is also based on the number of available drive bays (4 internal & up to 4 ext 5.25)

and a almost unlimited amount of drives via it's onboard SAS controller and SAS expander cards using external Drive enclosures

the z820 can support large capacty drives as boot or data drives since it's bios is UEFI based

you would be hard pressed to reach the limit on the number of drives/drive capacity the z820 can access if you went the SAS/SAS Expander route

but as a pratical matter you can easly install 4  3.5 10 TB drives internaly for data,... boot from a  2.5 256/1 TB SSD on a pci-e card and still have up to 4 available external 5.25 bays for four more 10 TB  data drives

0 Kudos
Hypermatter Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did it work or not? If it did, how many drives did you try and at what capacity?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation