Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've read many things about the subject I would like to talk about:

booting from NVME SSD and HP Z820.

It seems that DR GROOVES end CAMPDUBLANC succeed where I would like to...

I've a HP Z820, a samsung ssd 970 pro and 970 EVO PLUS, an HP Z TURBO G2 PCIE adapter

I'm an amateur photographer and videast who dreams about maximal speed for my workstation

I have a ground 0 level for informatic

accessory I'm french and sometimes difficulties in english langage...as you've understood

CAMPDUBLANC described a process inspired by DR GROOVES to succeed but I would like to know if some

photographies should be added to explain the process to avoid drama results

Thank you all by advance

best regards

jeanmarc32

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

PM (emailme) through this forum, and i can either walk you through the usb key creation or provide other options

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

I wrote the initial documentation for CAMPDUBLANC and encouraged him to expand on it i also walked him through the setup of DUET/Refind on his z820 it sounds harder than it appears

since the z820 does have a UEFI enabled bios and pci-e 3.0 (unlike the z800) the "Refind" steps are posted below

first set your z820 to boot from USB as the first bootable device in the bios's boot list

next create a Duet/Refind v2020 Bootable USB key (64meg-2GB) from this link

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1ogEdBzKrLRkz0SRwLphpFemRLWmgayA-

once the file is downloaded

MAKE THE USB flash drive (non-bootable) for REFIND.

Booting the NVME drive from UEFI capable board - REFIND mass-storage without DUET - with USBSetup:

• 1) Connect a USB 2.0 flash drive (64meg-2GB) and start the USBSetup application

• 2) Select the USB flash drive letter from the drop-down combo box

    Warning.
    The following step will completely remove all information and partitions on the selected USB flash drive

• 3) Remove all information and partitions from the usb drive by clicking on: CLEAN

• 4) format the selected usb drive by clicking on: FORMAT

• 5) Copy the graphical boot manager REFIND by clicking on: REFIND

• 6) Insert the duet/Refind USB key into the z820's USB 2.0 port and set Boot from USB as the first option in the z820's BIOS Boot order (i use the z820's internal usb 2.0 header)

now boot the system, it should boot from the usb key and most likely show a screen list of found usb ports try each one till it "kicks" it will auto save the port number that has the Refind/Duet key, now download/create a Win-10 x64 install key and place it in another usb 2.0 port and reboot the z820. It should now boot from the Duet/Refind usb key(loading the NVME code) and then pass control to the next bootable usb key which will be the win 10 install key, follow the GPT install prompts and select a drive (NVME/SATA) windows should begin the install

Important, due to the duet/Refind loader, the install will proceed normally till it reboots and then tries to finish the install from the hard drive....at this point it will loop back to the beginning of the win 10 install. when this happens simply remove the win 10 install usb key (leave Duet/Refind key in place) and reboot the system the z820 will now boot from Duet/Refind then continue the win 10 install from the Hard drive

alternate Duet/Refind setup directions

===============================

How to CLEAN install WINDOWS 10
• Download the windows 10 media creation tool and make the WIN10 ESD-USB directly from the media creation tool.
• Boot the PC with the DUET USB connected and wait for it to reach the Refind graphical boot manager.
• Connect the WINDOWS 10 ESD-USB and refresh the visual representation list by hitting the ESC keyboard KEY to make the "Boot Fallback boot loader from ESD-USB" option appear.
• Launch the EFI WINDOWS 10 installer from the WINDOWS 10 ESD-USB by selecting the "Boot Fallback boot loader from ESD-USB".
• Select CUSTOM: Install Windows only (advanced) on the next screen delete all existing partitions till the NVME drive shows as "Drive 0 Unallocated Space" and select NEXT, YES, NEXT.
• Once the Windows Setup screen ends copying and installing Windows disconnect the WINDOWS 10 ESD-USB before it self-reboots. On some legacy boards like the z820 this is required.

https://www.win-raid.com/t3286f50-Guide-NVMe-boot-for-systems-with-legacy-BIOS-and-UEFI-board-DUET-R...

HP Recommended

Hi DGroves,

It's very kind to have taken time to answer me.

I will try to read you with great attention to try to realize the process...I'm a little afraid of not be able to reach the goal but...

I must say to you that I had a little hope that CAMDUBLANC (with such a user name )speaks french to have more opportunities  to understand perfectly the process ...

Some questions I have is: 

the process is possible with any NVME M2 SSD ( I have 970 evo plus, 950 pro and 970 pro), with a Z TURBO G2 adapter ?

the USB key must remain in the pc after the process ?

the boot will continue on USB or NVME M2 ?

the improvement of the speed worth the procedure (vs classic SSD)?

I must say that rely on your advice is a great help because even professional persons were not able to help me.

Thanks again a lot !

Jean-Marc

HP Recommended

the process is possible with any NVME M2 SSD?

yes, the boot loader simply adds the missing nvme boot code, it doesn't care what nvme boot device is attached

he USB key must remain in the pc after the process ?

Yes,...since the Duet/Refind key has/adds the missing NVME driver it obviously must  remain attached so the necessary nvme boot code  runs every time the z820 is rebooted/powered on 

the boot will continue on USB or NVME M2 ?

the system starts off from the Duet/Refind USB key,.... and then proceeds to the nvme ssd where win 10 is 

the improvement of the speed worth the procedure (vs classic SATA SSD)?

depends on what your doing, some things are much much much  faster others just a bit faster, the 970/950 ssd's are extremely fast ssd's and will be approx twice as fast to six times faster

NOTE: THE SAMSUNG 950 PRO IS A BOOTABLE NVME SSD ON THE Z820,........ it's firmware contains the missing nvme boot roms which do basically the same thing the Duet/Refind key does, however  the samsung 970 ssd does not contain nvme boot code and must use duet/Refind usb loader to be used as a bootable ssd

the HP turbo Z pci-e card only works in the z820/840 workstations, and does not care what model nvme ssd is attached to it

once you have the Duet/Refind key created, all that is necessary is to bind it to a usb 2.0 port and then install win 10 in GPT mode  using a second usb key for the win 10 installer files

HP Recommended

Hi and thank you again,

As I said to you I'm not really confident at all with informatic manipulation so to resume:

I will use SAMSUNG 950 pro to simplify process (without usb key)

My PCI Z TURBO DRIVE is G2

I apologize to importunate you but can you describe me the way to do with those two parts and Z820.

Thank you many times

Best regards 

Jean-Marc

HP Recommended

Set bios to defaults, make sure 950 card is topmost bootable device in bios boot menu

(recommend you install windows with just 950 ssd installed) once windows installed, add 970 then enter bios and make sure 950 is topmost/first entry in bios boot menu

put samsung 950 pro onto a pci-e m.2 card (like the HP z turbo card)

place the m.2 card into pci-e slot,.... per HP use slot just above video card

power on,.........install windows

note there is no difference between the HP Z Turbo  and the HP Z Turbo  'G2" cards, only the SSD used on the card  is different

HP Recommended

Thank you 

just a precision in your answer

i must read ...once windows installed , add 950 (not 970 like in your text)...

be sure i will use my weekend to follow your advice and give you some news 

thank you

jean-marc

HP Recommended

your post:

must read ...once windows installed , add 950 (not 970 like in your text)...

WRONG>>>>>>>>>>

the 950 pro ssd  must be your boot drive that you install windows to

the 970 ssd will be installed AFTER WINDOWS IS INSTALLED ON THE 950 pro SSD, and used as a DATA DRIVE

HP Recommended

Actually windows is on regular SSD (non name M2)

Do i have to clone this regular SSD on 950 pro (data migration) before operating ?

I have many HDD(2), and two regulars SSD in my PC.

After cloning (or not), is it preferable to take out all HDD, SSD except 950 pro ?

Thank you

JM

HP Recommended

for a new install, it's best to only have the boot device installed

for cloning a boot drive it's again best to remove (power off) other devices to prevent cloning the wrong drive

i'm not a fan of cloning as this can sometimes cause issues but that's just my opinion/experiences

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.