Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Got this second hand Z820, very clean, but i think its too much noise for a workstation, what is wrong?

Checking the fan speed, doesn't make sense, i checked other posts about the temperature and fan speed, and its very different from mine, i already update the last version of the bios. How do i reduce this noise?

Measure 1: Ambient Temp 18C
Z820-1.jpg

Measure 2: Ambient Temp 20C

Z820-4.jpg

Measure 3: Ambient Temp 24C

Z820-3.jpg

Measure 4: Ambient Temp 26C

Z820-2.jpg

Noise Level in front of the case

Z820-5.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Have you gone into BIOS and checked what the system fan speed is set to?  Most of us always run that setting at the lowest possible speed.  Someone before you may have set it higher for a long processor intensive project and not set it back to the lowest value.

Also, the Z workstations have an ambient air temp sensor that detects the incoming air near the front of the case.  The motherboard's fan speed control system is programmed to boost fan speed if the temp detected is too high, or even too low.  When the sensor goes bad it is almost always reading way too high.  The system wants to error on the side of caution and pushes up the fan speed beyond what you'd want.

DGroves will know if your speeds are out of line... but check that BIOS setting as your first step.

HP Recommended

Its already at the minimum, the sensor are good, you can check the pictures in original post the Ambient Temperature, its exactly the same temperature i have on my desk thermometer.

Also, i updated the bios and reset the bios many times, reinstalled windows with another HDD, also Linux on usb drive, nothing changed.

photo_2021-02-26_15-30-04.jpg

HP Recommended

Your best hope is input from DG.... he is the Z820 (and more) guru.

HP Recommended

case fan speeds will vary depending on the ambient temp sensor and the cpu load(s)

since you like most people lack accurate sound level measuring equipment it's very hard to give a reply to subjective audio sounds between different people your cpu temp/fans look normal and the chassis fans are within spec

give me 4/5 days and i'll pull up one  my z820,s and see what the BIOS reports for default fan speeds at default idle state both are currently rendering a project and can't be interrupted

HP Recommended

As you can see on pic provided, from 18C to 26C the fans are at almost same speed, according to this other post, my reading are very different, i dont know what is going on, i made a quick comparison, sorry about the quality.comparison.png

HP Recommended

again due to variances between cpu's (some run cooler, others hotter) and the z820 systems and ambient air temps there will be variations in recorded temps between systems your posted readings are still within normal range although at the upper end

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.