Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

HP Z820

How can I increase the overall performance by upgrades?

Need to upgrade for 4K video editing.

1. Compatible processors  (max. no. of core and speed) ? 
  2. RAM upgrade? Should I use all channels? Max RAM Speed?
  3. Interface for RAID, built-in Intel SATA or SAS Ports?
  4. Hard disks SAS or SATA, RPM?
  5. Graphic Card - any suggestions and which PCIe slot should I use?

Will appreciate any help, suggestion or advice.

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

HP Z820 Block Diagram.PNG

HP Recommended

you will need to be more specific as the z820 is borderline for 4k editing, as it depends on just WHAT/HOW you are editing and the hardware/software used

and the hardware/software you use will determine if raw cpu speed or cpu core count is more important

HP Recommended

I will be using Adobe Premier Pro and / or Resolve for 4K video editing. I usually work on H.264 4K, may be H.265 in the future.  

HP Recommended

both software apps you mention are multi cpu aware, as such buying a cpu with more cores over frequency rating is recommended

for 4k editing 128 megs is the minimum recommended (you may need more or less depending on if both apps or only one is running

your video card should be a quadro or firepro, consumer cards/drivers are not recommended for business use

while H.264 editing on a z820 is possible in most cases,..... H.625 is not really recommended

i recommend you ask your questions on the davinci resolve web forums, they can give you a much better reply as users on that forum actually use the app/hardware on a daily basis

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.