Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820 WORKSTATION
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Our institutiın purchased HP Z820 WORKSTATION in 2013. The workstation has slight damage in the switch of the liquid cooler (SPS-Liquid Cooling Z820) and the authorized service said it should be replaced. However, they couldn't supply the cooling component as it is not produced anymore. Besides they can't fix it or even find an equivalent item. I consulted 2 services and both say the same. The item is out of warranty yet it is not an acceptable situation that a such an expensive device is not usable in less than 10 years because the manufacturer don't supply you with the proper item!! 

B Gulcimen 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

thank you. Considering your answers it is clear that the workstation can't be fixed due to one item which is no more supplied. What I experienced then is the warranty conditions (together with the technical support) are very important and should definitely be examined when buying a new workstation (which is what we have to do now).  I think we will consider other brands after this experience because I have lost my confidence in HP and its technical support. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

the z820 liquid cooling solution does not use any switches????? it is composed of 

a radiator with two hoses that connect to a circular pump/coldplate, which mounts on the cpu and a power cable this kit was required for 150 watt cpu's

if you have dual cpu's then the above will be duplicated

the part was made by asetek under contract to hp and was never released as a retail part

it is possible to remove the liquid cooling part and install the high performance air cooling parts as long as you replace the 150 watt cpu's with 130 watt cpu's these air coolers can be somewhat expensive and a bit hard to find  

if installing 95 watt cpu's you can use the easily available stock air coolers

HP Recommended

Dear DGroves,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I don't know too much about the hardware. To be clear, I inserted the images of the damaged part on the liquid cooler. If it is still possible to get the workstation working by replacing with air coolers, then this solution should have been provided to me by the experts at the service (I consulted 2 authorised services in 2 months). If it not possible to find the air coolers either, then I am right with my complaint.

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-24 at 21.58.15.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-12-24 at 21.57.57.jpeg

HP Recommended

first of all you are not right with your complaint, if you take the time to read HP's warranty on that system it's for 5 years and then 3 more years using a optional extended warranties HP has honored this and it's not practical for a manufacturer or reseller of products to give 10 year plus warranties or make available parts for this length of time

next, the part you have pictured is the Air Shroud which has nothing whatsoever to do with the watercooling parts

this air shroud is available on ebay and from HP as the same shroud is used on the z820 and z840 systems

https://www.ebay.com/p/1609250150

the connector on the air shroud you point to that is damaged is not and never was available as a separate part it's only available when you replace the air shroud itself

and last, that connector is a common "berg" part that can be sourced from mouser or newark electronics if your willing to spend the required time to locate the part in their online catalogs

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z820-CPU-amp-Me...

HP Recommended

thank you. Considering your answers it is clear that the workstation can't be fixed due to one item which is no more supplied. What I experienced then is the warranty conditions (together with the technical support) are very important and should definitely be examined when buying a new workstation (which is what we have to do now).  I think we will consider other brands after this experience because I have lost my confidence in HP and its technical support. 

HP Recommended

huh??? the part is available from ebay in used/new condition and from HP..................and i gave you a link 

your lets throw away that 600.00 USD system because we won't spend the 50.00 usd to fix it simply baffles me

*bleep*

HP Recommended

well, the connection damaged part was reported to me as a liquid cooler from the HP service. So you criticizing me in such way I think is very rude.  I know that the air coolers are available (and how you emphasize the link is rude) but NOT the liquid cooler. From your first reply, you told me that In order to replace the liquid cooler with air coolers you also have to replace the CPU. This what i understood and it does not sound very logical to change the CPU just because of an item which is not supplied. My aim to post here was to check if there is any possible logical solution that the service is missing because this is not an ordinary laptop that you will not care when you put into rubbish. 

HP Recommended

*bleep*, you were told that your problem based on your supplied picture has nothing to do with liquid cooling and that all you needed was the air shroud which i even gave a link to and yet you keep posting what seem to be very poor explanations as to why the information provided to you is somehow wrong

i'm done with replying to this post, hopefully others reading this will find useful information in my replies

HP Recommended

I am sorry that I poorly explained. Both the liquid cooler and air fans have to be replaced in this workstation. But if the liquid cooler is not supplied then there is no need to replace the air coolers!! Thank you for your replies. I believe you are a useful person but I hope you manage to be kinder in your future replies. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.