Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (208 Views)

HP Z820 fans on full blast when powered

Product Name: z820
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently did a CPU upgrade on my z820. I have a few z820's of which I have done the same CPU upgrade without any issues. After I replaced the CPU, I put everything back together, plugged it in, and when it booted, it said it didnt detect any fans. I opened the computer back up, pushed the fan in more, plugged it back in, booted it up, and then nothing happened. I reset the CMOS, nothing. I pulled the CMOS battery, nothing. I put back in the old CPU, nothing. Now, as soon as I plug the power cable in, the machine turns on and puts the fans to full blast, and thats it. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks for the help!!

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 4 (177 Views)

Re: HP Z820 fans on full blast when powered

Sounds like the pins in the CPU socket may have been touched during the CPU upgrade? That or something isn't sitting quite right.

At that point, we just do a board replacement. Is it still in warranty?

Quality Engineer - Workstations & RGS
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (168 Views)

Sadly its not under warranty otherwise I would have just ordered a new system board already. All the pins look fine to me though, I've reseated everything too. Is there anything I could do with the jumpers maybe? or does those not even matter since the system doesnt make it past post

Grad Student
Message 4 of 4 (103 Views)

spydo101 wrote:

Hello, I recently did a CPU upgrade on my z820. I have a few z820's of which I have done the same CPU upgrade without any issues. After I replaced the CPU, I put everything back together, plugged it in, and when it booted, it said it didnt detect any fans. I opened the computer back up, pushed the fan in more, plugged it back in, booted it up, and then nothing happened. I reset the CMOS, nothing. I pulled the CMOS battery, nothing. I put back in the old CPU, nothing. Now, as soon as I plug the power cable in, the machine turns on and puts the fans to full blast, and thats it. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks for the help!!

What is the new CPU you are using?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation