Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
z820
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently did a CPU upgrade on my z820. I have a few z820's of which I have done the same CPU upgrade without any issues. After I replaced the CPU, I put everything back together, plugged it in, and when it booted, it said it didnt detect any fans. I opened the computer back up, pushed the fan in more, plugged it back in, booted it up, and then nothing happened. I reset the CMOS, nothing. I pulled the CMOS battery, nothing. I put back in the old CPU, nothing. Now, as soon as I plug the power cable in, the machine turns on and puts the fans to full blast, and thats it. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks for the help!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Sounds like the pins in the CPU socket may have been touched during the CPU upgrade? That or something isn't sitting quite right.

At that point, we just do a board replacement. Is it still in warranty?

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Sadly its not under warranty otherwise I would have just ordered a new system board already. All the pins look fine to me though, I've reseated everything too. Is there anything I could do with the jumpers maybe? or does those not even matter since the system doesnt make it past post

HP Recommended

@spydo101 wrote:

Hello, I recently did a CPU upgrade on my z820. I have a few z820's of which I have done the same CPU upgrade without any issues. After I replaced the CPU, I put everything back together, plugged it in, and when it booted, it said it didnt detect any fans. I opened the computer back up, pushed the fan in more, plugged it back in, booted it up, and then nothing happened. I reset the CMOS, nothing. I pulled the CMOS battery, nothing. I put back in the old CPU, nothing. Now, as soon as I plug the power cable in, the machine turns on and puts the fans to full blast, and thats it. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks for the help!!

What is the new CPU you are using?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.