Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Z820 v2, it should come with 2 onboard ethernet connections. However, one of the ethernet ports is not working (bottom one), it is not even lighting up when connected to my router (yes, checked with different cables and router ports). I have checked BIOS and both NIC controllers are enabled, though the the one not working is also not showing in Windows Device Manager. The other onboard ethernet port works normal as it should (Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection).

Is that a case of a faulty ethernet port? or the onboard chipset is stuffed? or the Workstation came with just one active ethernet connection built-in?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

based on your description you have a bad port, the indicator is that there are no lights when a cable is attached to the port along with the device itself not showing up in windows

you can however check the bios and see if the device has been disabled under the security section as i recall, or just do a "FACTORY" full cmos reset and not a user cmos reset

the z820 allows you to store a "custom" bios default profile that loads when a cmos reset is done via the bios.... to do a full reset requires you to power off the system, pull the power cord, press the pwr button for 15 sec and then either remover the cmos battery  (or press the yellow cmos reset button)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.