Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z840 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have major lag in Boot Time for my brand new HP Z840. Video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zj0NhyZcQw

I started with a Windows 7 OS and upgraded to the 8.1. In both cases, my boot time was 2 minutes.

This despite having a Micron 256 GB SSD as the Boot Disc.

To cut a long story short, I have been in touch with the local HP Support and they have tried practically everything, installing and reinstalling the OS, checking each and every RAM Stick (8 x 4GB), the whole lot.

They changed the whole mother board of late. The problem is still the same. 2 Whole minutes just to boot up is atrocious. Especially for a flagship machine like the Z840 with a SSD to boot.

I can give detailed screen shots and videos of my set up BIOS and other settings if any one can assist.

All in all, I am very disappointed with this, if I may dare, ineptitude from HP's side.

Looking forward to a solution from the wider HP community.

Many thanks,

Ram.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I recently installed a pair of HP's offical HP zTurbo SSD PCIe 512GB cards, but on a z820, not the z840.

After upgrading the BIOS to the latest vesion I still had a very slow boot performance for an SSD - Until I discovered some BIOS options which need to be turned configured!

Fast Boot was one of them - Why would you want a slow boot. So I advise taking a good root around the bios settings, as well fast boot I also disabled the Power Management which dramatically improved boot time slow down.

I also configured the first boot drive to be the SSD. I also disabled starting of the SAS controller.

HP Recommended

I have fast boot anabled and booting to Windows 10 desktop takes 1 minute and 49 seconds.

When BIOS is booting, only the HP logo is displayed. I don't know what the computer is doing. There is no option to disable the logo.

There is also a problem with HP z27q monitors. Sometimes monitors are not waking up. Slow boot with no picture is annoying.

HP Recommended

@Takee wrote:

I have fast boot anabled and booting to Windows 10 desktop takes 1 minute and 49 seconds.

When BIOS is booting, only the HP logo is displayed. I don't know what the computer is doing. There is no option to disable the logo.

There is also a problem with HP z27q monitors. Sometimes monitors are not waking up. Slow boot with no picture is annoying.

Try disabling fast boot. At least in the Z420 with fast boot enabled I has having a similar situation - first just a black screen, then just HP logo then Windows. With fast boot off you see more of what is going on at startup instead of just staring at a blank screen and the processes isn't really any slower.

HP Recommended
Hy! I have the same problem with a Z620 workstastion. I press the power button and the monitor stays off for 10-20 seconds then it recives signal and the hp logo appears. What is frustrating is that when i press the power button nothing is happening on the screen, it stays in stand-by.
Any sugestions?
I am thinking that updating the bios might help. Sorry for my english, not a native.
Many thanks!
HP Recommended

@dodolup wrote:
Hy! I have the same problem with a Z620 workstastion. I press the power button and the monitor stays off for 10-20 seconds then it recives signal and the hp logo appears. What is frustrating is that when i press the power button nothing is happening on the screen, it stays in stand-by.
Any sugestions?
I am thinking that updating the bios might help. Sorry for my english, not a native.
Many thanks!

My experiences are broadly similar. Z420, boot options set to EFI, fast boot off, Samsung 950 Pro powering on / cold starting the system :

0 sec - power button is pressed

20 sec - HP logo appears on screen

35 sec - desktop appears

When restarting

0 sec - screen goes black, fans are heard
25 sec - desktop appears

HP Recommended

I had the same issue, and it was a result of the LSI SAS controller initialization.   The only way to speed up the boot time is to disable the SAS controller and msfrom BIOS by hitting F10 on power-on, and going into 'Advanced Settings' -> 'Device Configurations' -> 'SAS Controller' -> 'DISABLE'.

Caveat - your system drive may likely be on the SAS controller, which in which case, was connected to the four HDD bays.  Your options are:

1)  Connect the system drive bay to SATA or eSATA controller instead of SAS

2)  Scrap SATA drives and get NVMe Samsung M.2 SSD drive with a M.2 adapter througn a PCIe interface.  This will not use any of your SATA interfaces and will provide the absolute fastest SDD performance....while keeping your system boot time to <35 seconds.

HP Recommended

I own an HP 147-C with an unreasonable boot up  time. It takes about 10 - 15 minutes to open.  I have tried troubleshooting it using the troubleshooter in the Control Panel and I've looked everywhere for a solution.  No luck.  Please help!

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.