Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook17 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hewlett-Packardians,

A month or so before the pandemic took hold, I bought my first laptop:

HP ZBook 17 G2: (2015 ) i7-4940MX Extreme (4C@3.1/ 4.0GHz) / 32GB / Quadro K3100M 4GB / Kingston 480GB SATA SSD > 17.3" LCD 1920 X1080 panel > HP docking station> video externally to HP 2711x 27" LCD + Dell 24" LCD / Logitech 533 _2.1 speaker system
[Passmark System Rating: = 3980 / CPU = 10140 / 2D = 618 / 3D = 2779 / Mem = 2559 Disk = 4662 / Single Thread Mark = 2387 [1.3.20]

This had some setup, software installation,  and testing. The benchmarks results from the i7-4940MX Extreme (4C@3.1/ 4.0GHz) were very good, and the 17.3" panel had an excellent image.

Over the past year and a half, I charged and started this system occasionally, a couple of times on the docking station, but not in about the last two-three months.

1. However, a few days ago, I charged the system for several hours, unplugged it and tried starting it on the battery. No signs of life.

2. Tried starting on charger / power supply. The small white power light next to the power input lit and the power supply fan spun a few times. A black screen and no signs of booting or starting of any kind.

3, Tried starting on the docking station. Again, the small white power light next to the power input lit and the power supply fan spun a few times. But there was no signs of booting or starting.

4.  I removed the CMOS battery and held the power button for 30 seconds.  Replacing the CMOS battery = nothing.

5.  A friend at my local wind tunnel had a used HP Envy 17.3" CMOS battery that he had as a spare and thought was good, but there was no results.  A new ZBook17 battery has been ordered .

6.  I can't imagine what happened while sitting on one of the desks in the office that has caused this, but as my first laptop, I've either done something dramatically wrong and/ or am missing something.

Years ago I had a client with a little-used Rolls-Royce convertible-  twenty-five years old with only 27,000 miles, who complained, "Every time I turn the key it costs $600."  Apparently, I have the Rolls-Royce of laptops,  every time I've started it has  cost about $100.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.  -Thanks!

BambiBoomZ

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

laptop batteries will discharge when sitting, this is normal behaviour, if you let a laptop battery completely discharge you do run the risk that the battery will no longer charge or no longer fully charge 

laptop batteries can also simply fail at any time, rare but it can happen

most laptop makers will replace a failed battery if it's within a short time after you bought it exact policy on this varies from laptop model line and laptop maker. most laptop makers will not do a free replacement battery on a unit that's over a year old

if unable to charge the battery every 30 days,  remove the main laptop battery (leave cmos battery installed) doing so will slow down the discharge rate,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.