Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Strangely, Performance Advisor (2.1.4130.0) works on my old xw6600 under Windows 10 Pro 1903 (18362.329), which is the currently shipping version, but doesn't (system lock up) on my old EliteBook 8540w with the same builds. As these are both running .Net 4.8 (not insider previews) this may not be the issue unless it's hardware specific? They are also running the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (14.21.27702.2) to discount a side by side error.

I am unable to disable Intel AMT on the EB 8540w, so I tried installing PA on EliteBook 2540P (not supported) with exactly the same builds as above, AMT on (cannot disable) and PA works albiet with a Configuration Warning of Unrecognised Computer, so this should discount AMT issues.

So I am currently at loss as to what is the real cause for the crash under 1903.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, what I have read online concerning 1903 is troubling. It seems the .Net 4.8 is broken in version 1903. I’ve seen several posts online about programs not being compatible with .Net 4.8 and there is no fix at this time. 
However .Net 4.8 is fixed in Windows Insider build releases 20h1 and 20h2.  
This explains why PA is working on my Computer. 
Supposedly, the next windows update is going to be a “service pack” type upgrade and I have tried the release candidate 1909 and can safely say .Net 4.8 is still broken in that build and PA will crash. 

HP Recommended

FYI !!!

Windows Insiders Build 18975.1000 was released today. Most of the bugs were fixed in this build. Performance Advisor works perfectly too. 

HP Recommended

FYI ...

the last win10 .NET update incl. the PA updates fixes the problem ... no more powerplug scary crashes /...

oleeee.

🙂

kind regards ....

bh.

HP Recommended

Can confirm that latest PA (2.1.4431) and/or 2019-09 .NET (KB4514359) have resolved the crashing errors on my devices under 1903! 👍

HP Recommended

That’s great!!! Just in time for the Fall update too. Since PA works good in 1903, I can stop using Windows Insiders Builds. Not much is different with these versus the current build. Not much at all.

I’ll probably wait until 1909 is out and give it a try then. 

HP Recommended

as a mac switcher (after 2 decades) i'm little bit scary about the MS insiders builds and my Z840 is my production pipeline as a media artist so the .NET update are just in time, not be pushed to try the insiders build out  ... 🙂

thanks to the HP community not to be lonely in this moments like this.

kind regards from berlin.

bh.  

HP Recommended

Danke mein Freund. Ich hoffe das Berliner Wetter ist schön. Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut, aber ich versuche es.  

HP Recommended

Yep, confirm PA is working again for me after the .NET update for Windows 10  1903 on Z840

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4514359/sep-10-2019-kb4514359-cumulative-update-for-net-fra...

Cheers,

Minh

HP Recommended

🙂 so langsam kommt der berliner herbst ... grau in grau ... dein deutsch ist sicherlich praeziser als mein schwammiges english.

liebe gruesse von der spree.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.