Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP t520
Linux

Sorry if this is the wrong category - I didn't see one that seemed correct for a thin client.

This is an HP t520 Thin Client, Part G9F04ATR, running ThinPro OS. I have installed all software/firmware updates that the automatic updater saw - About says the BIOS is L41 v01.09 from 10/19/2016; OS build ID is T6X52100 ThinPro i386 5.2.0 build 11, with kernel version 3.8.13-hp. We have one initial unit for viability testing, but if we can get it working, we will get more - possibly a lot more - over time.

We use Telnet to connect to UNIX (Solaris) servers, and we need to print from the session to Zebra Xi-class thermal label printers, connected either by LPT or USB. We print labels using the printer's native ZPL code by sending plain text. Our current thin clients are Windows CE-based using PowerTerm, and from desktops we use either old NetManage Telnet or PuTTY - and all of these work well for us, but we need a replacement for the aging WYSE Windows CE clients.

On the t520, I have configured the printer via USB, and gotten a local xterm session to print pre-generated labels from a file. But remote sessions, whether from Telnet or SSH connections from the Connection Manager, or using X Terminal and manually connecting from there via telnet or ssh, do not work.

I tried using ANSIPRT (https://kb.iu.edu/d/abye) which I tested successfully using PuTTY , but it does not work from ThinPro, leading me to expect the flavor of Linux may not support "remote printing" as it is sometimes called. From PuTTY, I can use "cat test.zpl | ansiprt" and get a label, but from the t520, I see all file contents dumped to the window.

Can anyone confirm if this limitation exists, or if there is an official solution to print from a Telnet remote session? If HP can confirm that I need to do something different, I would appreciate being pointed to a supported option.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.