Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
xw9400
Linux

Hello!

I installed an LSi RAID card, and I'd like a pinout for jp16 (HBA HDD LED)on the motherboard  if anyone has it so I get an indication of HDD faults or activity 

Does anyone have this information?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

again,............... the 4 pins on both items are outer is positive, inner 2 is ground

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

the HD activity light is a 2 pin connector using a DC voltage approx 1.2 volts there is no harm if the led is connected backwards the symptom of this is no activity light if this happens simply reverse the connection

download the service manual if you don't have it as HP will soon be removing this model from the active support 

https://jp.ext.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/workstation/xw9400/xw9400strg_e_c00774787.pdf

note that most LSI cards have a HD access connector on the card for showing which attached drives are being accessed

the pinouts may differ IE-4 pin not 2 but the same applies in that you only need 2 of the 4 to show access activity

HP Recommended

On this model, the HBA HDD LED pin header is a 4 pin.

I figured it wouldn't do harm to tinker, but I'm not sure what the HBA is for, an if the LED wires are paired to one another side-by-side.

HP Recommended

on the LSI cards, the 4 pin header is the inner 2 are ground and the outer +5

some OEM/Retail lsi cards use a bank of pins, for connection to the servers LED connections on the drive backplane

HP Recommended

I have the pinout for the LSi card, but the HP motherboard has a 4 pin header for HBA HDD LED. 

The pinout I need is for the motherboard itself.

MOST motherboards have a 2 pin header for the HDD LED, but the xw9400 has 4 pins.

That's why I need the pinout. There are 16 possible combinations with 4 pins.

HP Recommended

again,............... the 4 pins on both items are outer is positive, inner 2 is ground

HP Recommended

Got it.

Connected the RAID card to the motherboard successfully, but I'm curious what the other 2 pins are for?

LSi card lists JT4 "Global Drive Fault" and JT1 Write pending LED indicator.

I imagine that it would be as simple as installing another jumper to the LED header, but I don't see any further display LED's, and I'm not sure what the default wiring would be

HP Recommended

well one simple use is as follows,......................if you replace the default hdd indicator led on the xw9400 case with a tricolor led (4 pins ) you can have the LSI card drive the hdd access light as you are now doing and the drive fault indicator light from one led

tricolor led's can display two primary colors and a third by adding the 2 primary colors at the same time

https://www.adafruit.com/product/159

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.