Level 2
22 15 0 3
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP z1 g2 high pitch noise

HP Recommended
z1 g2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP z1 g2 is emitting a high pitch noise.  The frequency and intensity of the noise varies with the brightness setting of the display.  I can eliminate the noise if I set the brightness very low.  But then the display is almost unreadable.

Unfortunately, the workstation is out of warrantly (by about a year) so I will have to fix it or pay for the repair myself.  Hope it's reasonable .  Thanks for any help with this.

3 REPLIES 3
XenonXTZ
Level 3
32 31 1 11
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Interesting.
My Z1G2 has the same high pitch noise in quite opposite way. The lower the brightness - the higher is the noise emitted. Pretty annoying. Running at 100% brightness for that reason.
0 Kudos
XenonXTZ
Level 3
32 31 1 11
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have set up a dispatch for high pitch noise, as my G2 still has 9 months of warranty remaining.
Upon techs visit (came with display assembly) we found out that the high pitch comes from the motherboard and not the display assembly. The most loud sound is emitted from the place right behind the optical drive/thunderbolt module.
Tried original and replacement displays and they acted the same.
The problem of high pitch on brightness levels comes from the system board.
The tech will come back on Mon with a replacement motherboard and I will report back, but I'm pretty sure that's the culprit.
0 Kudos
pkelecy
Author
Level 2
22 15 0 3
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response, XenonXTY.  I just replaced the display in my z1 (which is a G1, not G2, my  mistake) and, thankfully,  the problem appears to be fixed.  The video looks great now (nice and bright and uniform).  It almost like having a new computer.  ;>)

In addition to the high pitch whine, the old display had very noticeable dim areas on the  right side.  Other reports of this had fixed it replacing the display.  So I thought that was the likely fix for mine as well.  The high pitch noise had me wondering though.  As you observed, when I listened carefully it  did not appear to be coming from the display.  Two things that gave me hope it was just the display though: (1) when I plugged a second monitor in and disabled the display on the z1,  the noise stopped; and (2) with the system  on, I unplugged the LCD sync cable and the noise stopped .   But if the service tech replaced your dispaly and you still have the noise, then you clearly have something else  going on.  Good thing you caught while still under warranty!  I'll be interested in hearing what it is.  Good luck with it!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation