Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Yes i have tested it and it's my primary working PC now.
I have a nVidia MSI aero gtx 1080 200W. 230w with power limit at max. I have had no problems for like 2 months now.

So under stress test for 2 hours did not show any sign of problems.

Later i will upload photos of what pin you have to remove. But once you remove the pin the PSU fan will spin at low speed and the psu wil get hot under load because the fan will not be controlled by the motherboard.
So in order to control the speed of the fan. You have to connect the pin that you will remove from the psu with a PWM signal pin from one of the fans(CPU or back case fan) The PSU fan will be controlled by that fan. I recommend the Case fan.
Anyway as soon as i can i will post the photos and a little guide on how to do that.

HP Recommended

Very good, I'll keep watching this thread. In the meantime I'll look into the fan speed controllers. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

The pin you need to remove is the third pin as shown in the photo below.(marked red)

18-pin motherboard connector18-pin motherboard connectorWhen you remove this pin, the psu fan will run at minimal speed.(will not scale with the temperature rise) From my testing this speed will be enough for everday usage.

What i recommend is to connect this pin with a PWM signal from the motherboard. You could use a PWM fan splitter or DIY as me 😁

In order to get automatic fan speed control, what i did was, i took the PWM signal from the back case fan, because it normally spins with higher rpm than the CPU one, and connect it with the pin you remove from the 18-pin connector. As you can see from the other photo below:

PWM signal splitterPWM signal splitterYou need to connect the 4-th pin(from left to right) of the case fan. The pin that is closer the the cpu heatsink as marked in the photo(i have used a yellow wire) and connect it with the pin that you removed from the 18pin connector. Now the fan will be controlled by the case fan.
If you leave the fan control to automatic it will be really good, however if you keep the PC for a long time under stress i recommend to change the minimum fan speed at bios or via HP performance Advisor, at level 2 or at 1500 rpm.
Normally i use this PC for gaming and i leave dhe minimum fan speed at 1500 rpm for all fans and the pc is nice and cool

Fan speed level 2Fan speed level 2

P.S: you need an 8 pin eps cable extender to connect the CPU power because the CPU 8 pin eps of the z600 psu is short.

As you can see in my photo i have used an 8 pin EPS extender that splitts in two 4 pins because Z230 board use an 4 pin CPU power connector

If you need more help, ask me. I will be happy to help. 😉

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, this helps immensely, great pictures and description. I will give it a shot.

HP Recommended

Wanted to let you know that, with your instructions, my Z230 now has a 600w power supply and is running great. Plenty of power now. Running all fans at 1500rpm and PC is very quiet now. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am glad that it worked. If you can, click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION button on my post so others with the same problem as us can use this guide too. 😁

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.