Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to know if the HP z420 support Nvme drrives on a PCIe adapter.

Alex Hernandez
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Yes, they do.

Some of them comes with a NVME stick on a PCIe card as a boot drive in Z420's. HP call them Z Turbo.

HP Recommended

rodgers answer lacks critical information/details

Samsung "DID" make the xp941 and sm 951 (AHCI version) ssd's for the HP Turbo "Z"  which could boot off of the zx20 workstation line they, however have been out of production for many years now and are very hard to find used and when found are quite pricey same for the samsung 950 pro, and one other ssd model (predator as i recall)

the current HP Turbo "Z" G2 card uses the same pci-e card as the Turbo "Z"

but the SSD included is the samsung SM951 NVME version,

and the nvme ssd's can normally only be used as a data (non booting) drive

if you need to boot off the SSD you can use a SATA based SSD, or a PCI-e card/ssd that supports apples gen 3/4 ssd's or use a software method called RUFUS/DUET there are one or two other options but they require skills most normal users don't have so i will not list them in this forum

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.