Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP z620

Hello,

I have a HP z620 dual Xeon E-2620v2 barebone computer I am trying to set up.

It came with DVD

800watt hp psu

MOtherboard/ chipset/ processor

All I did was:

RAM  ( 12GB Ballistix 1600 UDIMM)

HD  1TB  Toshiba HDWD110

SDD 240GB inland Professional

IT starts in boot recovery mode and for the life of me I cannot get the bios on a bootable medium for it.

Is there an .iso I can just flash?  I am having issues executing dosflash.exe from the bios I downloaded from HP.

What form dose the medium have to be in or is there a disc image out there that I can use?  I am lost hear.

Turns out I need EEC registered RAM...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

did you test the system before adding/changing parts?

confirm the ram is in the proper slots and is the correct type,   the  12800u ddr3 hynix ram is not correct

ram must be 

PC3-12800E 1600MHz DDR3 Unbuffered ECC DIMMs • 4 GB and 8 GB

1333MHz and 1066MHz are also supported

PC3-12800R 1600MHz DDR3 Registered DIMMs • 1.35V and 1.5V DIMMs are supported,

but the system will operate the DIMMs at 1.5V only

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/downloads/z620_memory_configurations.pdf

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi

Please 1st try a Hard Reset

Press and Hold the PWR off button for 4 seconds to force a PWR off.

Unplug from the wall.

Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to complete the reset.

Next would be...

Hold down the WinKey + B and apply power for 2 -3 seconds, only release the WinKey and B key when the computer emits a seies of beeps, it could take upto a minute.

HP Recommended

First download sp84163.exe  then either run it or use winRAR/winZip to extract the files

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z620-workstation/5225037

Go into the folder called DOSflash and copy those files onto a bootable USB key or burn them onto a cd/DVD

(do not copy the folder, you must copy the files that are inside the folder to the usb key/cd)

i recomend Rufus for making a bootable usb key:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

==========================================================================

this is from the z820 reovery, and your z620 should be the same:

Power on, and wait.... you should see it flash the USB stick on, and then 7 red lights/beeps, now wait

it will reboot, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING

It will restart and you will get flashing USB Stick, and red light's, but this time 8, then a couple seconds later will go blue and the BIOS will come on, DONT TOUCH

It will restart again, and the BIOS will start, now pull the USB STICK, and you will see it flash itself

It will now restart, and flash 9 times and shut off.

from the HP manual for the z620:

To recover the computer after it enters Boot Block recovery mode:
Remove any media such as USB keys or disks in the optical disk drives.
Insert a BIOS image CD into the DVD drive. You can also use USB media such as an HP DriveKey.
Power off, then power on the computer.
If no BIOS image CD or USB media is found, you are prompted to insert one and restart the
computer.
If a setup password has been established, the Caps Lock light illuminates and you are prompted
for the password.
Enter the setup password.
If the computer starts from the boot media and successfully reprograms the ROM, three keyboard
lights illuminate and a rising-tone series of beeps signals successful recovery.
Remove the boot media and power off the computer.
Restart the computer
HP Recommended

I haven't been able to get this to work.

Is i hold power button down for 15 secs while it's unplugged from the wall or plugged into the wall?

&&  I am not even sure if the keyboard is working...

So far I have switched out the hdmi for a vga

and keyboard wise usb to the psx style...

Keep trying I guess, but so far to no avail... 

...Just got this off ebay, advertised as: perfectly workinging tested & guranteed.

HP Recommended

remove the usb to ps2 adapter, and plug the usb keyboard into a back usb port, power on and watch the keyboard lights, do they flash? if so the keyboard should be working

how do you hnow it's in recovery mode? plese describe what happens when the system is powered on

list what's on the display or number of led flashes/beeps

HP Recommended

I haven't been able to get the USB to work, so your're saying; I can put said files on a DVD?  JUst strait burn them...  Will it have the same propertys as a bootable DOS disk?

That's what i am currently trying to do; take a bootable MSDOS .iso and integrate it with the HP DOS FLASH files...

So your saying I do not have to integrate with a bootable DOS, I can just strait bunr 'em on a DVD?

HP Recommended

for a CD/DVD recovery all that is required is to place the  bios recovery files onto the disk no msdos filesystem is needed

i also recomend using a CD over a DVD, due to the small amount of data being used as most dvd software burn programs are unable to make a valid DVD without it having at least 4megs of data

and again,.... please provide a description of the boot sequence you are getting

HP Recommended

*  Insert power cord,

All lights flash on keyboard; initially seems unresponsive after that but no way to validate w/o a monitor output working

CAT5 Netwrok adapter shows link

initial green light under power light comes on and goes away,  disks I think?

No monitor output;  at first it was hdmi, I switched to VGA,DUH.  Raedon R7 240

Fans idle for 15-20 sec's and then,,,

SLowly increase to high RPM time from low to high is about 4 seconds.

That's what it dose.

If I plug a USB in; the usb light will flash for just a hair.

The CPU's get warm,

IT's got the E5 2620 v2 in dual format.  I have also tried e5 2690 in single cpu mode.   Which by the way is what's gonna be going in in the long run except in dual format.

I have also tried 8 gb of 12800u ddr3 HYNIX.

HP Recommended

did you test the system before adding/changing parts?

confirm the ram is in the proper slots and is the correct type,   the  12800u ddr3 hynix ram is not correct

ram must be 

PC3-12800E 1600MHz DDR3 Unbuffered ECC DIMMs • 4 GB and 8 GB

1333MHz and 1066MHz are also supported

PC3-12800R 1600MHz DDR3 Registered DIMMs • 1.35V and 1.5V DIMMs are supported,

but the system will operate the DIMMs at 1.5V only

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/downloads/z620_memory_configurations.pdf

HP Recommended

RAM is in the proper slot...

I've, so far,  3 sticks of BALLISTIX 4GB ddr3 - 1600 UDIMM 1.5v in proper slots and I installed the raedon r7 240, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD

Everything else is as it came...

DVDRW, stock power supply,  Motheboard ,and 2nd cpu riser + all the fans n'case

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.