Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP z800 Drive bays

HP Recommended
HP Z800 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

ok i got a qeustion i finaly got a HP z800 complete system but im wondering

comes with 6 sata ports 5 for the hardrive bays and 1 for cd/dvd reader 

why are there 8 sas ports? if there is only place for 5 sas drives? 

4 REPLIES 4
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

this information is covered in the z800/z820/z40 service manual and the user manual(s)

your z8xx system supports a external SCSI connector that mounts onto the case allowing  external  "SCSI" drive box's

0 Kudos
Knight_Phi
Author
Level 2
20 15 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

was more thinking of getting a ICY DOCK 4x2.5 SSD to 5.25 Drive Bay so i can mount atleast ssd's 

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

your question was "why are there more drive ports than drive bays". this was answered

you are of course free to configure your system as you please. however that does not invalidate my answer

in my z800 i have made a custom removable 2.5 drive tray that fits in the space up top in front between the powersupply and the top of the 5.25 bays using a metal 3.5 to 2.5 adapter tray (that was trimed down) and a

male to female SATA adapter that was attached to the tray/bracket this adapter holds my boot drive and yet i can open the side cover and gain quick access to it if nessary i also have a 5.25 card reader with two removable 2.5 bays that hold the finished daily work and are also used in archiving data

and last i have the HP "SFF" SAS/SCSI/SATA case adapter that allows usage of a external drive box which currently holds six 6TB SAS drives used for video editing

0 Kudos
Knight_Phi
Author
Level 2
20 15 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

nah its just that you mentioned *external* i dont like external options 🙂 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation