Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z840 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a z840 workstation, with the latest BIOS (M60 v. 2.34 May 18 2017), and a TPM 1.2_4.43, running Windows 10 Enterprise.  

I need to update this system to TPM 2.0.  I've downloaded the SoftPaq sp82147, but it only offers an update from TPM 1.2 to 2.0 if the TPM is already at version 1.2_6.40.190 or higher.  So - from what I gather I need an intermediate update to bring the TPM up to 1.2_6.4.0 before I can upgrade to TPM 2.0

Can someone point me in the right direction?

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

There are a number of cases with HP workstations where one needs to "step up" from a very old BIOS version to at least a certain older intermediate version before the newest version updater will work.  This situation has often not been well documented by HP, and has been a relatively rare but recurring problem over the years.

HP should have a section in their firmware/BIOS SoftPaq updater Release Notes document about this if it is an issue for that particular update, and also provide a link for download of the necessary "step up" BIOS installer.  The current situation you are facing is analogous.

HERE may be your solution (SP81900), with release notes and download links down at the bottom.  It was updated 10/30/17.  The documentation states specifically that you must have the very latest BIOS version installed for your workstation (it is 2.34 currently for the Z440/Z640/Z840):

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05381064

The Release Notes state "It is supported on 2015, 2016, and 2017 Commercial platforms that have Infineon SLB9670 TPM chip and the latest Commercial BIOS."  The QuickSpecs for the Z840 address that a firmware update can change the name of the Infineon TPM chip on the motherboard:  "When the SLB 9660 is converted (via Firmware v5.51) to TPM 2.0 mode then it is renamed as SLB 9665."  I have seen HP SoftPaq firmware updaters work on chips on HP motherboards that were not listed in the HP documentation for the updater.  I also note there is no listing for the ZX40 workstations in the list of supported computers on that page, but have also personally been able to run quite a number of HP SoftPaqs on HP workstations that were not on the supported list in the documentation for the SoftPaqs.  I would read up on the procedure first and then try, personally.  We have a bunch of Z640s I can try it on, but won't have spare time for that for quite a while.

It would be best if HP addressed this directly, and calling directly to them would be my first step.  Ours is a users forum, and likely does not have HP engineers reading it frequently.

HERE is an earlier 6/17 forum post about the issue (no solution, just frustration):

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/TPM-2-0-update-for-HP-Z840-Work...

HERE is what I believe is the latest info, updated 10/26/17, for the latest related SoftPaq (SP82147), which you have but can't yet run successfully:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05792935

Please let us know about that SP81900.... will it work on your Z840 as your "step up" solution?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately that SP (SP81900) doesn't have the solution either.  Same problem - there are various BIN files for updating the TPM - but they start at a version higher than I have available.

I'll re-read the documentation and see if I missed a step - but I think I'm still stuck.  Thank you for your reply.

HP Recommended

Aaron,

These things can be tricky.  I could download the SP81900 and run it and it unpacks to SWSetup on C drive, and you can grab the parts from there.  It is cmd line driven, and tells you how.  You are correct..... the folder full of firmware changers does not include one for starting from yours and stepping up.  On my Z620 the SP ran fine and I just needed to respond that the SP installed correctly to get it into my c drive from where I could harvest it and read the PDF and see the tools and the folder with the .bin files that let you convert from one older version to a newer one (and, interestingly from a newer back to an older).

Here is a SpiceWorks thread worth looking into, especially the comments.  You may wish to join and post your question there too.  HP has an excellent facilitator who seems assigned to that forum, and she provides some added info and may be able to directly help you.  It is  HERE.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1836570-hp-tpm-configuration-utility-updating-tpm-firmware-an...

My guess is that HP is working on this, but they generally don't post about such projects.....

Scott

HP Recommended

There is another forum post on the issue,  HERE.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Convert-from-Upgra...

From looking in the .bin folder from the SP82147 I only see TPM 1.2   4.40.119.0 or 4.42.132.0 both being able to be upgraded to TPM 1.2   4.43.257.0, and so I think that last one is where you are at.  I don't see any option for going from that backwards or on up.

In the SpiceWorks thread it is discussed about the different needs for a MBR versus a GPT formatted disc from CMD line interface, but that is not your issue.  I'd contact the HP representative there after joining that forum to get some inside help.

I wonder if there are different TPM chips (modules) in different aged Z840s, and that some are dead enders?  I doubt that.....

HP Recommended

There is another forum post on the issue,  HERE.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Convert-from-Upgra...

From looking in the .bin folder from the SP82147 I see the earliest two TPM 1.2 versions  (4.40.119.0 and 4.42.132.0) both only being able to be upgraded to TPM 1.2   4.43.257.0, and so I assume that 4.43.257.0 one is where you are currently at.  I don't see any option for going from that backwards or on up to a higher level.

In the SpiceWorks thread it is discussed about the different needs for a MBR versus a GPT formatted drive when working from the CMD line interface, but that is not your issue.  I'd contact the HP representative there in that forum post after joining it to get some inside help.

I wonder if there are different TPM chips (modules) in different aged Z840s, and that some are dead enders?  I doubt that..... but it is a possible explanation.

HP Recommended

I've considered that possibility - that maybe the systems I have were the first off the line and have an older TPM.  I'll have to contact HP directly on Monday.  Hopefully that's not the case as I have a requirement to move all my systems to TPM 2.0 or I can't use them.  Seeing as how these are real workstations as opposed to regular desktops I'd hope they'd still be supported - especially as they're still under their warranty period.

HP Recommended

I know that on some motherboards there is a TPM header and one can buy the module to plug onto that header if TPM is needed.... I have no idea if that is the case with the ZX40 series.  Please let us know what you find out.

HP Recommended

I went ahead and created a SW account and posted on the thread there.  Hopefully someone will have additional information.  Calling HP tech suppor the response was "there is no solution at this time" but I got the distict impression that the operator really wasn't that familiar with the topic.

HP Recommended

I've also opened a support case about this today and found your thread. If I get a solution, I'll post the answer here. Fingers crossed - I also need my Z840's to have the TPM 2.0 that the QuickSpecs say it is upgradable to.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.