Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HPDM 4.4 database migration question

HP Device Manager 4.4
Other

We have an HPDM 4.4 environment with a SQL Server 2008 R2 database. Now we have to move the database to a new server. Where/how can we change the HPDM config in order to connect to the new databaseserver?

To complicate things a bit: currently we use a SQL Server default instance, on the new databaseserver we have to use a non-default named instance (i.e. newSQLserver\HPDMinstance).

3 REPLIES 3
Level 5
Level 5
144 143 14 35
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, I suggest the Disaster Recovery Guide: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/hpdm/Documentation/WhitePapers/4.7/WP_Disaster-Recovery-Guide_HPDM-4.7.pdf

First you should use the Backup and Recovery Tool to backup the DB, etc.

This White Paper has a section on how to migrate a HPDM DB to a new location:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/hpdm/Documentation/WhitePapers/4.6/WP_HPDM4.6_Installation_And_Update.pdf

The command to run the HPDM DB Tool for migrating data:

HPDMInstallPath\Server\bin\dbsetup.cmd “language=en “–country=US

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own and do not express those of HP.
**Click the Thumps Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi rmayer,

Thanks for replying!

After moving the database to the new server and adapting the config-file (...\server\conf\hibernate.properties) to connect to the new location (on some other forum I found that the way to use an instancename in the Hibernate connectstring is "//servername\\instancename:portnumber") it still did not work, in the serverlog I found the following:

2017-07-19 16:28:15 [main    ] FATAL Server               - Device Management Server Version: 4.4.3610.13205
2017-07-19 16:28:25 [er_start_runner] WARN  SettingsFactory      - Could not obtain connection metadata
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "SQL Server returned an incomplete response. The connection has been closed.".
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.terminate(SQLServerConnection.java:1352)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannel.enableSSL(IOBuffer.java:1533)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectHelper(SQLServerConnection.java:1042)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.login(SQLServerConnection.java:817)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connect(SQLServerConnection.java:700)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.connect(SQLServerDriver.java:842)
	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
	at com.hp.hpdm.hibernate.connection.DMConnectionProvider.getConnection(DMConnectionProvider.java:119)
	at org.hibernate.cfg.SettingsFactory.buildSettings(SettingsFactory.java:84)
	at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSettings(Configuration.java:2073)
	at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Configuration.java:1298)
	at org.hibernate.cfg.AnnotationConfiguration.buildSessionFactory(AnnotationConfiguration.java:915)
	at com.hp.hpdm.service.util.hibernate.HibernateUtil.init(HibernateUtil.java:70)
	at com.hp.hpdm.service.util.hibernate.HibernateUtil.newInstance(HibernateUtil.java:229)
	at com.hp.hpdm.service.util.hibernate.HibernateUtil.getInstance(HibernateUtil.java:240)
	at com.hp.hpdm.service.dao.EntitiesHome.getSessionFactory(EntitiesHome.java:55)
	at com.hp.hpdm.service.dao.EntitiesHome.<init>(EntitiesHome.java:52)
	at com.hp.hpdm.service.dao.EntitiesHome.<init>(EntitiesHome.java:46)
	at com.hp.hpdm.service.dao.DAOWrapper.getHome(DAOWrapper.java:255)
	at com.hp.hpdm.service.dao.DAOWrapper.startTransaction(DAOWrapper.java:278)
	at com.hp.hpdm.service.Server.loadMMSConfigFromDB(Server.java:399)
	at com.hp.hpdm.service.Server.start(Server.java:134)
	at org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperManager$12.run(WrapperManager.java:2788)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: SQL Server returned an incomplete response. The connection has been closed.
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannel$SSLHandshakeInputStream.ensureSSLPayload(IOBuffer.java:607)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannel$SSLHandshakeInputStream.readInternal(IOBuffer.java:664)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannel$SSLHandshakeInputStream.read(IOBuffer.java:656)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannel$ProxyInputStream.readInternal(IOBuffer.java:851)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannel$ProxyInputStream.read(IOBuffer.java:839)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.readFully(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.read(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannel.enableSSL(IOBuffer.java:1483)
	... 22 more

Apparently there is some sort of SSL handshake problem - is there an option to not use SSL (in our case there is no need for using SSL)?

P.S. I could not use the "dbsetup.cmd"-option: that commandfile does not seem to be available in HPDM 4.4 - there is a "dbsetup.exe", but that command did not start anything (as far as I could see  :smileyindifferent:)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
504 504 51 84
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the old DM, the command should be: dbsetup -language=en -country=US

Simply choose the "Migration" option, specify the source DB and destination DB. Let's the DB setup tool to do the migration automatically.

I am an HPI Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HPI.
**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation