Weedacres
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Hang during Restart

HP Recommended
HP Z210 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The January and February Quality and Security Windows 7 Updates have caused a Restart issue on Sandy and Ivy Bridge processors.

My customer's Z210 has a i7-2600 processor. After KB4056894 was installed the PC hangs on restart about 60% of the time. The symptoms are black screen about the time that you'd expect to see the HP logo. The keyboard is inactive, no mouse cursor, fans running and power light on.

Removing KB4056894 resolves the restart issue. Others have found that the Feburary updates cause the same problem.

Some people have had success by disabling the C6 or C6 Report power states in their BIOS.

I've attempted to find those power state controls in later model HP Workstation bios setting but have not found them.

I'm hoping that someone can tell if those controls exist in the Z210 bios and if so how to find them.

Thanks,,, Dave

7 REPLIES 7
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I recomend that you first check the windows error log file(s) and see what is causing the error before you do anything

if nessary disable the restart on error setting, so you can possibly check the logs before restarting if not restart and then check the lerror og files

0 Kudos
Weedacres
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I guess I wasn't clear on the problem.

This has nothing to do with a restart resulting from a windows error. It happens when a restart operation is performed, either manually or scheduled after the January Windows 7 updates.

What I'm trying to find out is how to get to the C-state settings in the HP bios. Dell and many motherboard manufacturers have them available in their bios.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the windows logs will show if any service/task is failing or timing out on the boot or reboot sequence

windows logs the initial boot sequence, besides logging the running OS

if you have another bootable drive, i would try removing your boot drive, installing that and see if it boots normally

if so the issue is most  likely with your OS on the original drive

0 Kudos
Weedacres
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I finally found the setting to disable C-State in the HP Bios.

It's in    Power > OS Power Management > Idle Power Savings (change from "Extended" to "Normal"), Extended is the default.

This problem is discussed at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-hangs-on-reboot-af...

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

but did this help or fix your restart problem?

0 Kudos
Weedacres
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can't get any system time until this coming Thursday. I hope to try it then.

0 Kudos
Weedacres
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I finally got some system time yesterday and made the change to Idle Power Setting in Bios.

I then scheduled restarts every 15 minutes and restarted 20 times with no problems.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation