Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BambiBoomZ
Level 7
713 685 45 192
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Hey HP! RE: z620 > Can the BIOS v3.92 be reverted to 3.91 or not?

HP Recommended

HP,

As I appear to have no access to contact with HP support, I would appreciate comment by HP.

1. > Is it possible in a z620 workstation to revert the BIOS from 3.92 to 3.91?

2. > If it is possible, how?

After many tests, it seems clear that in my current z620, BIOS v 3.92 causes a noticeable performance reduction in some CPU functions and is evidenced in poor 2D functions.  For example the Passmark 2D mark for the Quadro P2000 was reduced from 852 to 549.  The z620 Passmark Single Thread Mark of 2339 was reduced to 2204.

As nearly as possible, a z420 running v3.91 was configured using the CPU, memory, GPU, and drives from the z620 and, given the strong similarity of the z420 and z620 motherboards, the only difference was the BIOS version.  The several tests plus anecdotal comments confirmed that v3.92, possibility as the result of remedial Spectre /Meltdown responses, does indeed reduce performance.

If it's Spectre /Meltdown patching, my attitude is that as I use a VPN, virus and malware scanning, and encrypted drives, I'm prepared to risk having the original perofrmance.

Numerous attempts -7- have been made to flash the BIOS to 3.91 using various methods: in Windows, in Windows Safe Mode, Windows by USB, and today,  attempts using a bootable USB: FAT32 formatted 400MB partition running the HP 3.91 DOSFlash.exe on Rufus / FreeDOS.  In the Windows attempts, the flash appeared to run properly- first save and then flash- and was reported as successful, but in the last seconds, there was an "unknown" and "unrecoverable error" and no changes were made.  In the DOS attempts, it also appears to run properly, but then an error pops up that the "DOS image is invalid".

I'm prepared to admit it's possible that I made mistakes seven times in seven variations of the same simple procedure, and/or may have missed the fine print somewhere in this matter, but if there is a firmware lock on reverting to an earlier version from v3.92- as is the case with v3.90, then I have wasted a large amount of working time: buying a replacement motherboard when the original update to 3.92 corrupted the BIOS and I believed the motherboard was ruined***, plus, my experiment by buying a GTX 1070, replacing the replacement when the performance was so poor, replacing the P2000 when I believed that was the fault, and the future loss when parting out z620_2- at one time the highest rated z620 on Passmark. In total, 3.92 has been very expensive.

1. > Is it possible in a z620 workstation to revert the BIOS from 3.92 to 3.91?

2. > If it is possible, how?

BambiBoomZ

*** the z620 User Manual does not mention the Crisis Recovery Jumper nor note it on the system board diagram.

3 REPLIES 3
BambiBoomZ
Author
Level 7
713 685 45 192
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear HP,

As all of the office's five z-series workstations are now out of warranty z420_2's ended in February, I seem to have no options for technical support outside of the User and Service manuals and this forum.

I would appreciate a definitive answer to this simple question:

RE: HP z620: Can BIOS v. 3.92 be reverted to v. 3.91?

If so, what is the preferred method?

BambiBoomZ

0 Kudos
kevin-t
Retired
Retired
20,511 15,846 324 972
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@BambiBoomZ

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
BambiBoomZ
Author
Level 7
713 685 45 192
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

kevin-t,

Thank you for your referral and notice.

BambiboomZ

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation