Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420
Other

I upgraded my Z420 from an E5 1650 to the max CPU supported 2687W and have proper/adequate cooling.  At maximum loading using CPU intensive work system is reporting that the CPU is running at 3.4GHZ and at no time do I observe the CPU operating above that - near to what the CPU should support of 3.8GHZ.  I recently flashed to the latest bios and it immediately recognized the CPU when installed.

Any ideas what I should check to get the max potential out of the CPU?  Right now CPU max temperature hit 57C so should have room to run up to 3.8

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Chip12345 wrote:

I upgraded my Z420 from an E5 1650 to the max CPU supported 2687W and have proper/adequate cooling.  At maximum loading using CPU intensive work system is reporting that the CPU is running at 3.4GHZ and at no time do I observe the CPU operating above that - near to what the CPU should support of 3.8GHZ.  I recently flashed to the latest bios and it immediately recognized the CPU when installed.

Any ideas what I should check to get the max potential out of the CPU?  Right now CPU max temperature hit 57C so should have room to run up to 3.8

Start by checking In the bios that you have turbo enabled and PCIe Performance mode is disabled.

Also bear in mind that 3.8Ghz is the max speed when only using a single core. If you have 8 cores committed you will get 3.1Ghz. 

This is a multiplier locked CPU so AFAIK no tweeking is possible to get e.g. 3.8Ghz on all cores.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Chip12345 wrote:

Start by checking In the bios that you have turbo enabled and PCIe Performance mode is disabled.

Also bear in mind that 3.8Ghz is the max speed when only using a single core. If you have 8 cores committed you will get 3.1Ghz. 

This is a multiplier locked CPU so AFAIK no tweeking is possible to get e.g. 3.8Ghz on all cores.  

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information - I do see all 8 cores/16 threads committed at 3.4GHZ so I'll consider that a win. 

HP Recommended

@Chip12345 wrote:

Thanks for the information - I do see all 8 cores/16 threads committed at 3.4GHZ so I'll consider that a win. 

That seems a normal result and would indicate your system is functioning fine.

. For comparison with the E5-1650 v1 and E5-1650 v2 with all 6 cores / 12 threads committed I had 3.5Ghz and 3.6Ghz respectivelly (vs. max turbo specs of these CPU's at 3.8 and 3.9GHz).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.