Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, everyone. I buy on ebay mainboad HP Z420. When boot it pause and require F1. Can anyone guide me turnoff F1 and it continues boot enter Windows.  I disable posmessage and disable bypass f1 prompt in Bios.

IMG_20171226_2123375.jpg

Second question.  What's max current load of socket cpu fan. I don't have hp cpu fan and i use a Delta 12v 0.6 A for it. Is it safe for socket cpu fan ?

Third question. I run E5 2670 115 W on this mainboard. I detect temperature of mosfet vrm core very hot.  And it don't have any heatsink. Is it possible for run e5 2670 24/24 with this mainboard ?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Have you replaced the faulty z420 motherboard from your existing z420 chassis and connected all the components that were previously connected to your old motherboard back to your replacement motherboard?

If so, all should be OK.. in theory.

It may be possible that the featurebyte is not correctly specified on your replacement motherboard. Jump into BIOS and press the CTRL and A keys at the same time before going into <Security> <System IDs>. If the featurebyte field is empty, then you can specify a featurebyte which should match the label on your chassis. If the featurebyte is not empty, you will not be able to change it as it's a one off thing. 

Note that the featurebyte is used to control what is installed from the recovery disks. From a recent post, as  i understand, the featurebyte may also be used to define what hardware is expected to be connected to a motherboard and thus can impact on what errors the BIOS will see.  Look at this post for some background.

Now it could be that this featurebyte issue may not be relevant to F1 errors on your z420, since i always thought z420 had front usb2, usb3 & 1394, as well as front audio, memory fans and rear chassis fan. But as i don't have a z420 i'm not sure.  Still, it's worth checking the correct featurbyte is entered if possible (i.e. it was blank).

However, if you're building a home workstation and starting with an empty case and a z420 mobo, i'd suggest reading all HP docs available for the z420, especially the maintenance and service manual which you can find here.

As for what CPU's are supported in z420, google "z420 quickspecs" should find this doc which indicates a E5-2650 V2 CPU is supported. According to Intel Ark page for E5-2650 V2, this is a 95W CPU. Maybe a later version of the quickspec shows  E5-2670 V2 CPU is supported but i don't know as have linked to quickspec version 41.

Also keep in mind that HP used 'normal' and 'high power' heatsink/fan combo (for the want of the correct terminology). The 'high power' heatsink/fan combo indicate to the mobo that they are being used via a jumper wire on the fan connector and thus BIOS knows that the heatsink/fan can handle the high heat output from gruntier CPU's. Again i don't know the break points for which CPU's need the 'high power' heatsink/fan, nor part numbers for them, but there are a number of threads on such issues within the forum - search may yield some good results. 

With VRM cooling, i don't know but maybe they are cooled via the shroud and fan that covers the RAM so look at the maintenance and service manual for hints...

Oh, if you are building your own frankenstein z420, keep in mind that the HP power supply is not a standard COTS ATX power supply as HP uses proprietary connectors to the mobo...

[edited to add]

PS: providing a little more info about what you are doing or hoping to achieve within your original post could help others be more targetted in their answers and you may get a quicker response as a result.

HP Recommended

@HoangLong wrote:

Hi, everyone. I buy on ebay mainboad HP Z420. When boot it pause and require F1. Can anyone guide me turnoff F1 and it continues boot enter Windows.  I disable posmessage and disable bypass f1 prompt in Bios.

IMG_20171226_2123375.jpg

Second question.  What's max current load of socket cpu fan. I don't have hp cpu fan and i use a Delta 12v 0.6 A for it. Is it safe for socket cpu fan ?

Third question. I run E5 2670 115 W on this mainboard. I detect temperature of mosfet vrm core very hot.  And it don't have any heatsink. Is it possible for run e5 2670 24/24 with this mainboard ?

Thank you.

The stock bios does not have the option to turn off the F1 errors. It is possible that the option is there but not displayed to the end user - in that case it may be possible to extract the IFR representation forms from the bios, and if such an option is found change the corresponding NVRAM varaible with e.g. GRUB. More info on this is readily available on various bios modding forums.

The other option to eliminate some of these errors is to wire the 'sense' pins on some of the connectors to 'fool' the machine into thinking that the appropriate connectors are connected - there have been some info posted on this on this forum in the past. This is likely to help with the USB 2.0 / 3.0 / audio not connected messages, but for instance in the case of the fans it may result in a new message - 'fan not working' or something to that extent

In my view the HP Z420 board is not the ideal base for a custom system, due to the above and other propriatary solutions. But since you already have proceeded in moving the board to a new case, I would also suggest moving all the wires / connectors  from the original case to the new one and then see what parts / connectors can be integrated with the new case. In the case of fans, you could always extend the cables and use them in other places in the case to cool various componenets.

HP Recommended

Hi!

I have 3 z420 motherboard, and with vga and a keyboard only, one boots with lots of errors of not connected fans and connectors, and not asking for F1, and two of them boot up only with F1 to boot, regardless to the setting of "enable bypassing F1 to boot on system startup" (or similar) setting in bios.

Also checked featurebyte, and it was empty, but filled in, and it still wait for F1 to boot.

Maybe this is some HW error?

I have made an adapter for the motherboards, so it works fine with a standard ATX PSU.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.