cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
kotseman
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

How to install 3 hard drives and one SSD on a Z420

HP Recommended
z420

Hello , i want to upgrade my system by adding an SSD and 3 hard drives. I want my system to boot from the SSD ,have one hard drive for general storage and the other two in a raid array. My SSD is a 2.5 inch one but i have previously bought the HP 2.5 to 3.5 inch bay adapter.The other drives are normal 3.5 inch ones. So, is there a way to install all of them inside a Z420 without needing to buy any additional adapters ?

Thanks! 

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
SDH
Level 10
2,358 2,184 220 671
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not sure what you're asking... it seems pretty obvious.  The Z420 has 3 standard 3.5" hard drive bays.  I'm going to assume you want also to keep your optical drive in its 5.25" bay.  There are 3 of those.  So, 6 bays for a total of 5 drives.  You might want to stuff something else in there too but for right now you have 1 spare.  Take a look:

Z400.jpg

You don't have to buy an adapter.... Velcro will do.  I personally would spend the 5 bucks on a cheap black plastic 5.25 to 3.5 or 2.5 form factor adapter just for the luxury of that and put the SSD into one of the 5.25" bays, but I'm the splurging type of guy.

Make sure you have the higher rated power supply, and the proper cooling options for that case.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation