Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elite desk 800 G2

I have a office elite desk 800 G2 which has had its hard drive removed.  I bought a new WD 1TB internal hard drive and a retail copy of Home Windows 10 on a USB stick.  I am unable to get the system to work.  Get error message says files may be corrupted.   But both the hard drive and OS are brand new.   THI is not an upgrade; computer has no operating system currently - I am trying to install.   Am I missing something? 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

Make your own W10 installation media on another PC from the link below (Media Creation Tool).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Use the product key from the W10 home version your purchased.

NOTE:  It is also very possible there is already a W10 Pro product key in the BIOS of your PC (they either came with W10 Pro or W8.1 Pro), and that should work with automatically with the installation media you created.

If it has a W10 key in the BIOS, you can use the W10 Home edition you bought on another PC.

HP Recommended

could you provide more details on the problem?

i would go into the BIOS and do a reset first

does the bios see the hard drive correctly?

then,

does the desktop boot from the usb key?

does it go thru the Windows setup?

does setup find the hard disk?

maybe the size of the disk is the problem and you may need to partition it?

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.