Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z230 Twr WS & Z turbo drive G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi HP technicians!

I am a HP Z230 Tower Workstation user from China! First please forgive my poor English. I am meeting the same issue you menthioned above. I have tried a Z turbo drive G1(Samsung XP941 MZHPU256HCGL-000H1) and Z turbo drive G2 AHCI(Samsung SM951 MZHPV256HDGL-000H1). Both of them could be detected on bios and bootable. Now i am eager to running a G2 256GB or 512GB Nvme version on my mechine. I have found it could not be detected on bios but could be seen in the windows installation steps or made as a secondary disk running in windows.

Here I wanna know how you could help me slove the problem in oder to i can use a Nvme Z turbo drive G2 SSD as a bootablb one for my primary disk. Need i change some configuration or settings for making it bootalbe or will HP give out the solution for this issue?

Regards!

Stein

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
I have updated the latest bios version 1.54 of Z230 during solving the problem.
HP Recommended

Anyone can help me? PLZ!

HP Recommended

UNfortunately, the Z230 BIOS does not have the ability to see and communicate with NVME controllers so it will NOT be seen as bootable media. The Z230 only supports HP Z Turbo Drive G1 SSDs (PCI-e w/AHCI controller)

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended
anyway thanks dan! I have tried a AHCI G2 and it could be booted. But I am eager to know where there is way to make an NVMe Z turbo bootable on Z230. Any method?
HP Recommended

NO method. The BIOS will not be able to find an NVME controller to boot from. It does not have the NVME code to see such device as boot media. The Z240 has that feature with its BIOS

HP Recommended
could I get any third-party bios, driver or firmware instead of the original bios or ssd f/w ? btw, dan, do u know the product model of new z turbo G2 1T? is it Samsung SM951 1T?
HP Recommended

HP commercial systems use an HP bios. There are no other options.

HP Recommended

I have two Z230. One with i7-4790 and the other a E3-1245V3. Both run on Samung PM961 mounted on a generic PCIe NVME adapter.

Get a thumbdrive and follow the instruction here.

I did the same for my Z620.

You should be getting something similar to this:

PM961.jpg

HP Recommended

not going to happen,...... the hp z420/620/820 systems do not support booting from nvme they only support boot from SATA SSD

they will however access the nvme ssd as a data drive (win 7 needs special drivers) win 8 and up have builtin driver support

some people have used a special boot loader method to force a load of the missing nvme driver code before then xfering control back to the windows bootloader

google boot nvme on ami bios win raid as keywords if you wish to try this method

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.