Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z600 Workstation
Microsoft Windows Server 2012

Hi All,

So one day my Z600 decided not to boot. When I tried to boot it the fans kick on and automatically kick off. Then we get two long beeps on the workstation itself. When I look up the error it says its the heatsync fan. I replaced the fans and also put new thermal paste on the heat sync itself. This did not fix the issue and I continued to get the two red beeps. So just to make things a little easier I changed out all the rest of the fans in the system and this didnt fix anything. Does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot the issue?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

some of the z600 fans have 4 or 5 pin connectors a case in point is the high power cpu heatsink fans

replacing a 5 pin fan with a 3 or 4 pin will cause issues same for replacing a 4 pin with a 3 pin

next, the HP fans are specific to the fan profile HP sets in the bios, replacing these fans with others  stands a good chance of causing sub optimal cooling

last, is this a single or dual cpu system? i recomend doing the "z600 power supply self test" as a bad supply can cause boot/startup problems

google for the words in the sentence above  in quotes, or for "z600 service manual"

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01733543

HP Recommended

BklynJames,

If the case and CPU fans seem to running at an adequate speed, and given you've remounted the cooler and the fan appears to be running, the only remaining component for consideration (that I can think of) is the temperature signal chain, namely, one or more motherboard  temperature sensor or the link that signals that the CPU fan is connected is giving a false indication.  BIOS may be signalled to initiate thermal shutdown as though the temperature is over the limit and/or as if the CPU fan was not connected. Do you by chance have a spare CPU fan/heatsink?

You've been very methodical and the only other aspect is whether the interpretation of the shutdown is correct as it sounds as though it could be memory related.  Just to eliminate it as a possibility, try starting on one stick in the first position as there might be a memory module failure.  Just two days ago, I was starting to rehabilitate a 2007 Dell Precision 390 (Xeon X3230) and it would not boot with error beeps. It turned out that one memory module was not properly seated.

Let us know what happens.

BambiBoomZ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.