Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I currently have the z400 and have a dual core Xeon w3505. I was looking to uprgade and was wondering if the core i7 990x was compatible with the system I currently have. I also have 16 GB of ram if that helps also. Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

for compatable cpu's please read the HP "quickspecs" on this model workstation

you can locate the document using google

HP Recommended

Do you have a version 1 or a version 2 of the Z400.  Figure that out by searching in this forum, and there are two main ways but either works fine.

If, and only if, it is a version 2 then the processor you want is not in the QuickSpecs for the Z400.  This is a rare exception... but it is well documented by me an others that in the Z400 v2 you can run the Xeon X5690, with sSpec code to look for on eBay of SLBVX.  I only buy expensive processors from US sellers, with good reputations.

Expensive is relative..... this went for 1666.00 USD new.... about 90.00 used from eBay now.  Every one of my Z400s is a v2, and every one has this processor running just fine.  It needs the usual Performance Z400 larger heatsink/fan.  That's all in here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.