Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello 

Good days everyone i would like to ask about my z600 GPU now it is working with quadro 4000    2gb      can i buy a much higher one such as quadro P2000  or any thing like that ?   or what is the highest GPU I can get   

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

use this sites "search" box and you will see many previous posts/answers on this subject

try z600 video card upgrade or z600 fastest gpu/video card as search keywords

HP Recommended

obadashehadeh,

The "best" GPU is going to depend on the applications  and to some extent the speed of the other components.  If the applications are CUDA accelerated, then the CUDA core count is important. GPU rendering is an example, where a GTX can deliver a lot more power for less cost than Quadro, but if the applcation requires stron OpenGL perofrmance , then Quadros are the choice. Quadros deliver a higher color depth and higher anti-aliasing. I'm currently thinking of changing from CPU to GPU rendering, experimenting with  running a Quadro P2000 and GTX 1070 together, having a total 13GB of memory and 1024 + 1920 CUDA cores.

But the processor, memory, and disk subsystems have to support a very fast GPU to derive the full value. In 3D CAD, the CPU clock speed is the governoring factor. I have a Dell Precsion 390, running a Xeon X3120 @ 2.67 GHz, the RAM is DDR2-667, and the disk system is SATA II.  I tried the Quadro K4200 in the 390 from one of the Z420's running an E5-1660 v2 @ 4.1GHz. In the z420, the Passmark 3D mark was 4596, but in the 390 it was 4057.  Tried in a Dell Precision T5500, the Dell equivalent of a z600, with 2X Xeon X5680 (3.3/3.6GHz) the K4200 made 4708.  Most of the difference is  in the relative clock speeds. The system can bottleneck a very fast card. 

I would say in general, if you are using OpenGL programs- 3D CAD, consider a Quadro P2000.  It's one of the sweetest cost/performance spots I know of. I've seen tests showing the P4000 having an advantage only running very large files or having numerous/ complex effects/attribute layers.  I've compared the P2000 and the GTX 1070- which is the consumer equivalent of the P4000 and the P2000 is faster in 3D CAD, moreso when running  high AA.  I had three Quadros 4000's and I think the difference between a card that ran the Passmark 3D at about 2000 and a card that runs it at 8500-9000 will be "noticeable".  Even the P1000, if the file sizes is not extreme appears to work very well. I'm thinking of that one to replce the GTX 660 Ti in one of the office z420's (E5-1620). If you don't need the Quadro attributes, the GTX 1060.

Look into working out a system in which each component is at a similar performnace level- no weak links, especially the disk subsystem . A RAID controller that can convert the disk system to SATA III  and unleash SSD speed, plus a USB 3.0 PCIe card can make an enormous difference in system responsiveness.  I used a Dell PERC H310  in the T5500 and that change alone move the Passmark Disk Mark of the Samsung 840 SSD from 2202 to 2934. 

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Thanks for the Reply but i was afraid of the compatablity issu between z600 and quadro p2000 fpr example

HP Recommended

obadashehadeh,

There are no Passmark test results for a z600 / Quadro P2000, but there are 17 results for the GTX 1060 which uses the same Pascal GPU as the P2000 , plus dozens for the GTX 1070- the equivalent to Quadro P4000.  There's no problem with the power as the P2000 runs entirely off the PCIe slot power (=75W max).  

You might like to see my new reply to theOne77 who wants to put a couple of GTX 1050 's in a z400.  As  mentiond there, the PCIe 2.0 and the generally lower clock speed of zX00 series results in a slight reduction in performance, but the best marks for Pascal units in zX00 are still above the average for all systems tested, which is including 5GHz overclocked ones.

BambiBoomZ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.