Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I would upgrade the cpu I have now Xeon 2640v2 @2Ghz with 2680 v2 or 2690v2 to have more core and Ghz.

I have 2 questions:

1) do I have to upgrade CPU sink?

2) compatible processors are only ones in this list? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjQ1ZaJlLvqA...

for example 2696v2 is not listed while you can find in the list 2695v2 and 2697v2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have the later boot block date.  You can read up in here on the two different versions and the boot block date found in BIOS is the key info on v1 versus v2 of the motherboards.  There are some other ways we've posted about in here also.

Since you are running 1 processor, which many of us do, you can really learn from Bambi and Brian because that is what they do too.  They both hold some Passmark speed records with that approach and some special methods.  My discovery that the larger heatsink/fan from the Z440/Z640 is cross compatible with the Z420/Z620 is significant, but those two are using liquid cooling and some gentle overclocking.  I just have not had time to master the overclocking they do, but will eventually.

Take a look on eBay for 749554-001.... that is what I'm using.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You must have the version 2 Z620 since you are running a v2 processor.  Not sure from your post if you want to run two of the new processors or one... please clarify.

Power draw for the three you listed:  

2640 v2 95W

2680 v2 115W

2690 v2 130W  (my recall is that the stock Z620 heatsink/fan is rated up to 130W, but read below for a tip)

The power draw for the v3 and v4 processors that will work in the ZX40 tends to be higher, and the stock heatsink/fan for that next generation has higher cooling capacity.  If you are going to run only 1 processor in your Z620 you can buy a Z640 heatsink/fan off eBay for as low as about 15.00 and get almost twice the cooling capacity (in terms of fin surface area) that will screw right on your socket.  I do that in all my Z620 and Z420 high end builds.  The fan plug end has 6 holes instead of 5, and you just hang the 6th hole out in space when you plug it in to the 5-pin header on the Z620 motherboard.  It is just an extra ground jumper not needed in the Z620/Z420.

Bambi and Brian here likely will help you greatly, shortly.  They have mastered the highest end performance in these workstations.  Yes, there are other processors than on the list there, which is from 2015.  Not all you think would work will work, however.

HP Recommended

Thanks for useful info!

I did a better check, I have now installed a xeon 2650 v1 (single processor). How can I check wich version I have of Z620? (I didn't know there were 2 versions sorry)

My bios informations says: SKU LJ450AV 

Boot block Date: 03/06/2013

HP Recommended

You have the later boot block date.  You can read up in here on the two different versions and the boot block date found in BIOS is the key info on v1 versus v2 of the motherboards.  There are some other ways we've posted about in here also.

Since you are running 1 processor, which many of us do, you can really learn from Bambi and Brian because that is what they do too.  They both hold some Passmark speed records with that approach and some special methods.  My discovery that the larger heatsink/fan from the Z440/Z640 is cross compatible with the Z420/Z620 is significant, but those two are using liquid cooling and some gentle overclocking.  I just have not had time to master the overclocking they do, but will eventually.

Take a look on eBay for 749554-001.... that is what I'm using.

HP Recommended

very nice news, thanks.

I have a tesla k40 running in my system and I have the impression of a bottleneck. I will search for a 2667 v2@3.3Ghz that is an Ivy bridge with full pci 3.0 support and I hope i a speed improvment.

I will also see for the heatsink you advise.

I will let you know

HP Recommended

If you are planning on installing 2off CPU's, then the E5-2667 v2 is the fastest of the range. You could add one CPU  initially, with the option of adding a second CPU at a later date if required.

You will definitely notice a major improvement in system responsiveness and speed if upgrading from a E5-2650 v1 CPU to a E5-2667 v2. The E5-2667 v2 CPU also supports up to 1866MHz RAM, whereas the E5-2650 v1 can only support up to 1600MHz RAM. Check what RAM you have installed if you haven't done so already. The stock HP Z620 heatsink can be used for CPU's up to 135W power.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/64596/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2690-20m-cache-2-... 

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.