Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All

Can you please assist me on this.. i have replaced the FAULTY dvd with new one, but since that the 3 SATA drives  can not been seen on Bios on Windows 10  only the bootable SSD drive , also note i can see the DVD drive on BIOS and Windows but it is not working,

what i did so far

-1- checked all the cabling

-2-updated the BIOS to latest one

-3-Updated all the drivers.

but no luck

Appreciate your assistance

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

replacing a DVD drive  will have no effect on any other SATA/SAS port

to which ports are the devices connect to? are your drives SATA or SAS? (list model number for us)

your SSD/DVD should be connected to the z820's two native sata 6GBps ports ( blue or grey)

the remaining 5 white  ports next to the blue/grey ports are the Intel "SCU" sata only ports that require a driver

(which win 10 has) they are the  the Intel RSTe 4.5.xxxx driver

the 7 white ports on the bottom edge of the board are the LSI SAS/SATA ports

HP Recommended

The bootable drive is SSD....working fine on whatever slot is  in, the rest are all Sata drives

DVD on blue port

All the 4 drives (including  the Ssd) are in the bottom ports ...4 from 7

Thank you 

HP Recommended

reread what i wrote previously THE SSD AND THE DVD NEED TO BE ON THE TWO BLUE/GREY NATIVE SATA 6GBps ports

the SATA drives (again what model numbers) should be on the 5 sata 3GBps white ports next to the blue/grey ports

drives should NOT be connected to the bottom 7 LSI ports, in fact you should enter the z820 bios and turn off/disable the LSI controller rom, doing so means it will no longer be able to boot a drive, but windows will still see any drives attached as a non bootable data drive. doing this will decrease your boot time by about 20 seconds

HP Recommended

Thank you DGrove

I have now put all the drives cables as per your intrustions, but still not be able to access the 3 SATA drives

Bootable SSD on SATA 0 grey port

DVD on SATA1 grue port

Here are the model for all 3 sata drives all now attached to the top 3 of 4 white ports (
Seagate 4TB BarraCuda Pro 3.5" SATA Performance HDD/Hard Drive ST4000DM006 )

Also please see the attached pic of device manage, i am not sure where to go from here.. i have downloaded sp98397 .. not sure what drivers to pick up.. i tried some..but nothing happened

device-manager.PNGdrivers.PNG

HP Recommended

since you refuse to provide me with the sata drive model numbers,   all i can ask is the bios set for raid+ahci

(it seems to be set for IDE which is not correct) and do the drives show in the bios after reconfiguring them to raid+ahci

HP Recommended

Thankyou DGroves

Please see the outputs below

C:\>WMIC CSPRODUCT GET NAME
Name
HP Z820 Workstation

C:\>wmic diskdrive get Name, Manufacturer, Model, InterfaceType, MediaType, SerialNumber
InterfaceType Manufacturer MediaType Model Name SerialNumber
SCSI (Standard disk drives) Fixed hard disk media ATA CT1000MX500SSD1 SCSI Disk Device \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 1913E1F4AC75
USB Challenger Backup Solutions, LLC External hard disk media Samsung Flash Drive FIT USB Device \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 AA00000000000489
USB Challenger Backup Solutions, LLC External hard disk media SanDisk Ultra Fit USB Device \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2 4C530001170313121590

The model number is this Seagate 4TB BarraCuda Pro 3.5" SATA Performance HDD/Hard Drive ST4000DM006

Is this what you are after regarding the model number ?

The drives do not show in the bios after reconfiguring them to raid+ahci

20191209_105757.jpg20191209_105814.jpg

HP Recommended

I am not sure about the whole thing, i think the internal controller is dead

Could upgrade it to version 19 but i don't like to take a risk just in case

Now i am opting for the other option which is going with a pcie controller, any recommendation on which vendor and model to go for.

Thankyou

HP Recommended

If the controller was dead, it would not show up in the device list

also the z820 has 3 DIFFERENT controllers on the motherboard

1. the native SATA (two blue or grey ports)

2. the INTEL SCU sata ports (white next to the native SATA ports)

3. the onboard LSI Mustang SAS/SATA ports (7 ports along the bottom of the motherboard)

the odds of all three different controllers going bad for no reason is quite unlikely have you tested a different SATA drive on the system (not the ones you now have) and also replaced the sata cables?

did you try resetting the cmos to FACTORY STOCK (and not the saved custom cmos settings)

HP Recommended

thanks DGroves

I did tried all that, even i checked it with X2 SAS disks and new sata disk from on other stand by server

Also replaced sata cable going to DVD  and reset CMOS battery .. but still the same, back to square 0

The disks not showing on bios and the DVD not working

I think the issue on the drivers,,,,not sure which ones to peak up manually and the file name to point to on folder named SP98397 as they are too many, tried fews times without any luck

C:\>ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.1]

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.