Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z2 mini g3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to install an SSD to my Z2 mini workstation and I have trouble to find the proper screws.

Base on the size of the hole, they are much larger than the ordinary drive screws.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP keeps getting creative with their smaller form factors, and the subspecialized drive mount screws keep getting harder to find.

Your boot drive is an M.2 form factor SSD, and it sounds like you want to add the only drive you could add.... a 2.5" form factor SSD or HDD.  You can look on reviews for your workstation where they have it open, or YouTube reviews, and see that the empty 2.5" form factor drive bay you have available has 4 elastomeric grommets along its two sides through which the unique M3 metric threaded screws will go.

Here is a picture of one of those 4 screws:

1.jpg

That clearly has a wide head, and there is a YouTube video that briefly mentions near the beginning about the guy's problem in doing what you want to do, and how HP helped him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeOx7_UdniQ

In the past HP has found a place to screw in spare screws for such needs, inside the case somewhere (often behind a front grill), but maybe space was too tight for even that.

The guy indicates need for longer screws than are usually used for mounting a SSD because of the added thickness of the elastomeric grommet.... they will always be M3 for a 2.5" form factor HDD or SSD, and Ace hardware may have nice metric screws of the length you need plus M3 fender washers.  A bit of thread locker on the threads and proper length screws and fender washers (wider OD, with usual M3 inner diameter) should do the trick.  McMaster.com has all you could ever need for this project, but you may wish to just call HP.

One of his replies:

"The screws were free. I got them by calling +1 (800) 334-5144"

If your workstation came with a 2.5" form factor HDD the screws for that are identical to those needed for a SSD.... metric M3 fine threads but probably with a machined thicker shaft to go snugly through the hole in the grommet.  The elastomeric grommet is needed for a HDD, but not really for a SSD.  Macgyver would know what to do..... 

hp_z2_mini_g3_inside.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

your post is not the first on this subject, you might want to use this sites "search" box and read up on the other posts for some help/information

use:    Hp drive screws         as keywords, as i recall your system uses the blue mounting groments

also this mini compact system can only hold one 2.5 drive, is yours missing? if not simply reuse the existing mounting hardware  on the replacement drive

HP support might be able to source them nowadays, but if not you might have to cobble something together yourself

HP Recommended

HP keeps getting creative with their smaller form factors, and the subspecialized drive mount screws keep getting harder to find.

Your boot drive is an M.2 form factor SSD, and it sounds like you want to add the only drive you could add.... a 2.5" form factor SSD or HDD.  You can look on reviews for your workstation where they have it open, or YouTube reviews, and see that the empty 2.5" form factor drive bay you have available has 4 elastomeric grommets along its two sides through which the unique M3 metric threaded screws will go.

Here is a picture of one of those 4 screws:

1.jpg

That clearly has a wide head, and there is a YouTube video that briefly mentions near the beginning about the guy's problem in doing what you want to do, and how HP helped him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeOx7_UdniQ

In the past HP has found a place to screw in spare screws for such needs, inside the case somewhere (often behind a front grill), but maybe space was too tight for even that.

The guy indicates need for longer screws than are usually used for mounting a SSD because of the added thickness of the elastomeric grommet.... they will always be M3 for a 2.5" form factor HDD or SSD, and Ace hardware may have nice metric screws of the length you need plus M3 fender washers.  A bit of thread locker on the threads and proper length screws and fender washers (wider OD, with usual M3 inner diameter) should do the trick.  McMaster.com has all you could ever need for this project, but you may wish to just call HP.

One of his replies:

"The screws were free. I got them by calling +1 (800) 334-5144"

If your workstation came with a 2.5" form factor HDD the screws for that are identical to those needed for a SSD.... metric M3 fine threads but probably with a machined thicker shaft to go snugly through the hole in the grommet.  The elastomeric grommet is needed for a HDD, but not really for a SSD.  Macgyver would know what to do..... 

hp_z2_mini_g3_inside.jpg

HP Recommended

It comes with an M.2 SSD with PCIe slot. I want to add extra.

Thank you for your suggestion.

HP Recommended

Here's that second image that seems stuck closed in my post above:

large.jpg

HP Recommended

I have seen this video. I'm afraid it does not support Canada so I posted my question here.

Thought someone would know the specific model or size.

Thank you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.