Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, today I bought the HP Thunderbolt 2 card for my z820 workstation. But in the thunderbolt box I just saw 1 cable. its like that;

s-l300
When I tried the plug that cable to c26 port on workstation it isn't match. Should I have another cable?  or  can I use that one in my z820 workstation?

Cable pn : 751366-001
Card Sp : 7533732 - 001 AS 743096 - 002

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

for the z820 thunderbolt install you need the HP TBolt card the cable that connects the card to the z820 usb ports

( which you show in the pict) and a video passthrough cable that runs from the TBlt card to your video card

the TBolt card MUST BE INSTALLED IN SLOT 5 for the z820

the cable you show, connects the TBolt cards  header to the two usb ports on the motherboard 

The cable splits into two cables that plug into the system board. The cable header with three
wires labeled C26 plugs into the blue connector labeled P26 USB 2.0 DASH next to the yellow
connector. The cable header labeled C25 plugs into the connector labeled P25 USB 2.0 which is
closest to the USB 2.0 DASH connector. the other end connects to the Thunderbolt header

i recommend you read the link below, it should have been included with your HP TBolt box of parts

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04293195

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

DGroves will know..... My recall is that there are some different versions.  I don't use Thunderbolt but here is a great LINK  that will get you started.  The OP is working on his Z820; D is helping him....

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-z820-Thunderbol...

Of interest I have read that the version 2 of the Z620 and the Z820 are Thunderbolt 2 compatible but not version 1.  Not sure if that is true.

HP Recommended

for the z820 thunderbolt install you need the HP TBolt card the cable that connects the card to the z820 usb ports

( which you show in the pict) and a video passthrough cable that runs from the TBlt card to your video card

the TBolt card MUST BE INSTALLED IN SLOT 5 for the z820

the cable you show, connects the TBolt cards  header to the two usb ports on the motherboard 

The cable splits into two cables that plug into the system board. The cable header with three
wires labeled C26 plugs into the blue connector labeled P26 USB 2.0 DASH next to the yellow
connector. The cable header labeled C25 plugs into the connector labeled P25 USB 2.0 which is
closest to the USB 2.0 DASH connector. the other end connects to the Thunderbolt header

i recommend you read the link below, it should have been included with your HP TBolt box of parts

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04293195

HP Recommended

There is a version 2 of that install manual, and the gem from it is in the "Kit contents" section where you get to see that there are three different cables, what workstations they are for, and their part numbers.

I'd be interested to know if DGroves has heard whether the Thunderbolt 2 card truly will only run on a version 2 of the Z420/Z620/Z820.

HERE  is a link to that later version of the manual:

https://usermanual.wiki/Hp/HpThunderbolt2Pcie1PortIOCardSetupAndInstall139979.2056029670.pdf

Kit contents section.jpg

HP Recommended

Thank you so much Sir

HP Recommended

while i've never owned a v1 z820 personally (all of mine are v2 bootblock board rev 1,02.1.03) i have worked on them professionally and as far as i know the TBolt kit should work on ALL z820 motherboard revisions 1.00 through 1.04 if the card did not work on a v1 bios the hp documentation would make note of this (which it does not) so it appears that it should as long as you have a later bios installed on a v1 bios based system

it's possible that by the time the card was released the v1 bootblock systems were far from current and HP simply referred to any z820 system as a v2 in the documentation, leading to people assuming that v1 somehow were not supported

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.