Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 Workstation
Linux

We bought a brand-new HP Z4 G4 Workstation before a week ago. We Installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS . After 2 days this error is appearing at the time of System on. I also updated BIOS Version P61 v01.70 to v01.73. But the same error was appeared. I don't know what I Do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This isa weird one.

If we were talking about a laptop, I would say water damage and suggest a ultrasonic clean and some soldering.

But since this is a workstation, it's realy not likely to be that easy.

Just to be sure. Could you check the pins and make sure thy are still attached to the board properly?

While your'e there, check for any kind of sign of damage to the board.

Hiatus

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Is the front chassis fan spinning? And if not, is it connected?
Seems  to me like a godd place to start.

Hiatus

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community  @Praveen_USAM 

Try reseating the "Front Fan " connector on the system board???

FrontFan.PNG

REO

HP Recommended

I also try this method. But the same error is occurs.

HP Recommended

Yes. Front chassis fan is spinning and I also reseating the Pin. But the error continued.

HP Recommended

Did you do anything with the HDD's when you installed the GNU/Linux-distro?
513 usually has to do with HDD-cooling it seems...

Hiatus

HP Recommended

Just Installed Ubuntu 18.04

HP Recommended

That should not have effected your front chassis fan...
If someone with big hands had been messing around with the hardware, a cable may have got pinched somehow in one of those "one in a million" scenarios...
Back to the drawing board!

Do you have the possibility to switch the front and back fan cables around? Try and see if the error follows the fan or if it stays on "513" regardless of what's plugged in there...
Or try a different fan all together if possible.

For some reason, the motherboard does not see the fan even though it's spinning. So the only thing I can think of is if the signal gets lost somewhere between the fan and the motherboard. Bad cable? Bad connection? Bad BIOS?
Could be a number of things. If you can't figure it out with a couple of google searches, just call HP support. I mean, you just bought it brand new after all...

Hiatus

HP Recommended

I'm really curious about how your troubleshooting is going?
I saw the thumbs up. Does that mean that you solved th problem?

Hiatus

HP Recommended

Sorry for too late response.

A week ago I changed the Front Chasis Fan. BIOS Version updated from 1.72 to 1.73. But the same error occured.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.