Gowrie12
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

I need to know what graphics card my HP Z220 needs to run Windows Mixed Reality

HP Recommended
HP Z220
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC has Windows 10 Pro (is that the same as Windows 10 (64-bit)?

I don't know what graphics card the PC tower has, but when I run the Windows Mixed Reality requirements I'm told I need different graphics card.  The one's listed are:

* Integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 or great DX12-capable integrated GPU

*Nvidia MX150 discrete GPU

*Nvidia GeForce GTX1050

*Nvidia 965M discrete GPU

*AMD Radeon RX 460/560

Can you advise which I should get? And is it easy to fit to PC?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
DGroves
Level 11
4,700 4,674 442 994
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hmmmmm,.....the answer is not clear cut at this point in time as it actually depends on the resolution/quality you want to run mixed reality  at and the actiual software apps themselves

lower end video cards while able to run mixed reality will not display the same speed/rendering options that allow a displayed image to look better when using higher end cards.

so first question is why windows mixed reality instead of the HTC Vibe/Oculus rift

second, what programs will you be using?

is this for work or pleasure

what is the room size you plan to place the 3d system in

all of the cards you listed are low end mixed reality capable, but that does not mean that they will work fluidly in all software apps

windows 10 pro is a more feature rich version of windows 10 home, most versions of win 10 pro are 64bit and you can check by using this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13443/windows-which-operating-system

i would link to articles comparing the three vr headsets, but for some reasion this HP forum bans any link mentioning them

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Gowrie12
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your comments.

The reason for Windows Mixed Reality is that I won the headset & controllers.  Will be using for pleasure.  The room is around 5m x 3m.

The programs will just the Windows Mixed Reality apps we can download

We definitely have the 64-bit Windows 10 Pro

DGroves
Level 11
4,700 4,674 442 994
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

any mid range card will do then.

do not go lower than a nvidia 1050 for current models or a nvidia 960 for older models.

for Radeon (ATI) a 560 is the lowest with a 580 or better recomended

in general the nvidia cards will provide more bang for the buck, but several ATI models are better than their nvidia equivlents just pick a model and then use google to compare both reading reviews to find the one you like

the above cards will also allow 720p resolution gameing on the current 2018 games  with some settings turned down

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation