Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Xw4400
Linux

Hello

My power supply died about a week ago.  I know this because it gave me a 4 beep code.  I followed the troubleshooting instructions, and when plugged in with all the cables unplugged, the fan didn't spin.  So confirmed dead.

I got the new power supply today, and I plugged it in with no cables attached.  The fan spun.  Power supply confirmed good.

However, when I reattached everything and turned it on, I got the four beep code again.  Does this mean my system board is fried?  And if so, where on the board is the id so I can order another?  I have the intel dual core cpu if that helps any.  Not the Extreme, just the duo.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After I connected a monitor, I doscovered that the computer was passing post, and then experiencing thermal shutdown.  Replacing hte heatsink and fan assembly got me a working computer.

The problem was a bad video card.  For whatever reason, neither board picked it up as the problem.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

EvilWayz

Here is a link to an HP thread that lists the different beep codes, with their interpretation based on the BIOS version on your PC:  HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code | HP® Customer Support

As to parts, here is a link to HPs Partsurfer that allows you to find the part numbers of the components in your PC: HP Notebook PCs - Ordering HP Certified Replacement Parts | HP® Customer Support

You may not be able to buy a motherboard because these are often made for HP under contract and are not available for retail purchase.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Is there a partssurfer for desktops because the one you posted was for notebooks.

I already know what's wrong, I just need to know where the id on the motherboard is.  For example, is my board  a

412410-001 or a 412410-003?

HP Recommended

Sorry, but that's the only Partsurfer link that HP provides.

You will probably have to contact HP Customer Support directly to get the information you need.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1
If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I called HP.  They were somewhat less than helpful.

HP Recommended

I'll assume you already have confirmed that 4 beeps, pause, 4 beeps means power supply issue on xw4400.  It is that way for the xw6400.  The diagnosis method is to disconnect everything from the power supply, and then power it up and see if the fan comes on and the green led comes on.  Not sure if yours has a green led, however.  That is the Built In Self Test BIST passing the test.

If your original power supply passes that test it likely is good, from what you are saying.

Now you need to keep your new one in place, and have 100% of wires unplugged from it.  Plug it in.... check for passing BIST.  Unplug.  Then, only plug in the cable(s) that go to the motherboard.  On the xw6400 there are two main ones, bigger and smaller.  Then plug back in and see if the power suppy passes the BIST.

If it does then your motherboard should be good.  Unplug, and move forward adding in one component at a time until you find the bad one.

Basically any plugged in component can trigger a 4 beep alarm if it is shorting out/overdrawing power internally.  The HP power supplies include a "crowbar" circuit that is instantly triggered if there is a power rush through it to the bad  part.  So, the 4 beeps are generic.  Any crowbar trigger will cause the dreaded 4 beeps, and from there it is a process of elimination.  In my experience it has been the power supply itself going bad usually, but your symptoms are different getting the indication the power supply is good when nothing is plugged in.

Please post back when you have this figured out for others to benefit from.

HP Recommended

Oh, and google "xw4400 spare parts" to get your info on parts.... why the HP contact did not know of this is beyond me.  It's a very handy trick to know to get to this official HP source for many workstations.

The higher the number the newer the version.  Your motherboard part numbers will be printed on a label on the motherboard, usually easy to find.  Remember that there are Assembly and Spares part numbers for the exact same part.

Don't assume it is your motherboard... it usually is not.

HP Recommended

Was I supposed to take my video card and ram out for the power supply test?  Because when I unplugged all the hard drives and the cdrom it still failed.

HP Recommended

I would have thought unplugging the video card from its power cable was enough, but you are right.  Many video cards do not have a supplemental power cable and get all of their power up from the card slot.

Thus fully removing the card would be wise to try to isolate the problem to the video card versus the motherboard.

However, if you are saying you had fully unplugged the power supply from the motherboard and the card was not hooked by a supplemental power cable to the power supply then it would not matter.  You get the idea.

Does one go fanatic and unplug all the fans too?

HP Recommended

wouldnt i get the 6 beep code or the 7 if it was a vid card or memory stick problem, respectively?

THis all started when i turned my computer off for the night after running it 24/7 prior.  I turne dit on, started working and the comp froze.  I coudln't get it to restart so i turned it off and then back on again. and thats when i got the beep codes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.