Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I replaced the motherboard and the power supply.  Still getting the four beeps.  The only thing attached to the board is four sticks of ram and the video card.  When I remove the video card, of course i get the 6 beeps identifying the video card is bad.  When I remove all four sticks of ram, I do not get the 5 beeps like I should.

This diagnostic beep system is pure garbage.  So do I replace the ram sticks one by one or buy a new graphics card?  At this point I should probably buy another computer, preferably from another company.

HP Recommended

Actually, the beeps are anything but "pure garbage"!  These are produced by the BIOS and are there to provide information about potential hardware problems.  Since the beeps are programmed by the BIOS developers, they are unique to each BIOS vendor. 

Here is a link to the beep codes for each vendor:  POST Beep Codes

Generally, when you are getting a memory error, you DO insert the sticks one at a time; otherwise, how are you going to be able to tell which stick is the problem?

As to a different PC, these beeps will be generated regardless of what brand you buy, as they are programmed into the BIOS/UEFI chipsets.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I'm not sure you'r eunderstanding the problem.  I am fully cognizant of what bios I have and what each beep code means.  However, a  member in an earlier post said that power supply error is a generic code for a bad part getting juice.  I have taken off and put back everything on my computer and still get four beeps.  There is a distinct code for video error, for memory error, for mobo error, for bios/cmos error.  But I'm not getting any of those, just the power supply error.  I have tested the psu using the directions provided by HP, and then i replaced the mobo AND the psu and i am still getting the same error code.  So I am going to flip a coin and pick between replacing the video card and replacing the cpu.

So yeah, that beep code is about as useful as teats on a boar hog.

HP Recommended

So I replaced my video card and now my computer works again.  Even though I never got the post code for video error.  Which means I wasted money on a new psu and a new mobo for nothing.  Thanks abunch, HP.

HP Recommended

Spoke too soon.  When I connected the monitor and turned the computer on and left it on, it started to count thru the memory, and then stop and started doing two beeps, pause, and then two beeps.  I assume this is a memory error since the beep codes start at 4. 

HP Recommended

After I connected a monitor, I doscovered that the computer was passing post, and then experiencing thermal shutdown.  Replacing hte heatsink and fan assembly got me a working computer.

The problem was a bad video card.  For whatever reason, neither board picked it up as the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.