cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tk771
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

I tried to install my old blue-ray player into my hp elitedesk 800 g3 tower but not getting it

HP Recommended
hp elitedesk 800 3G Tower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thought I would install my old blue-ray player/burner into the new elitedesk tower, but when I installed it I'm not getting it to play on this computer.  The new one has a slim disk player, but my old one is not.  Is there some incompatibility? 

4 REPLIES 4
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
92,850 92,727 12,008 25,605
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tk771

It won't play BUT can you see it PHYSICALLY in File Explorer ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
tk771
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't see it in file explorer either?  I did the install on my last computer and it was a snap, but this has me a little more perplexed.  Not sure if the connection is the correct one, because the slim player uses a different type.  The one I tried to use seems to go to the same processors/card, but is compatible with the player I installed.  It's actually the same strand  of wires just looks like its extended for the purpose that I was using it for.

I'm also curious as to whether it makes a difference if the old player was mounted horizontal, instead of Vertical?

0 Kudos
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
92,850 92,727 12,008 25,605
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tk771 wrote:

... I'm also curious as to whether it makes a difference if the old player was mounted horizontal, instead of Vertical?

Hi,

No, it will work the same way given it uses SAME connectors like the old one. Do you have driver for it ? Please install driver to see how it goes. No driver it is a piece of junk.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,510 4,493 412 946
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

some older IDE based cd/dvd/blue ray players came configured as a master device, or as a slave device

usually you see this in laptop optical devices

the current SATA based devices do not have this problem since each device has it's own port to connect to

you can confirm if your player is sata by comparing the connector on the drive with this links image

http://www.interfacebus.com/SATA_Pinout.html

also, don't forget to check the sata data cable sometimes thes go bad

also check  the  power connector, if the drive light blinks when accessed  then power should also be good

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation